US 628778 A
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
No. 628,778. Patented July ",1899. M. N. EDWARDS.
PACKING BOX. (Application 511m July 19, 1898.)
Tu: mums PETER: 00., vumuwm WASHINBTON. n. a.
Ur ES MILO N. EDWARDS, OF GLENWOOD SPRINGS, COLORADO.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 628,778, dated July 11, 1899. Application filed July 19, 1898. Serial No. 686,383. (No model.)
To all whom it may cancer/2,:
Be it known that l, MILO N. EDWARDS, of Glenwood Springs, in the county of Garfield and State of Colorado, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Packing- Boxes; and I do hereby declare the following to be a full, clear, and exact description of the invention, such as will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make and use the same.
This invention contemplates certain new and useful improvements in packing-boxes.
The primary object of the invention is to provide a simple and highly eflicient knockdown box which will be capable of being easily put together for use and closed so as to occupy but minimum space when empty.
The invention will be hereinafter fully set forth, and particularly pointed out in the claims.
In the accompanying drawings, Figure 1 is a view in perspective of m yim proved box with one cover-section removed. Fig. 2 is a central transverse sectional view. Fig. 3 shows details. Fig. l is a view showing the box knocked down. Fig. 5 shows a slight modification of one of the end sections.
Referring to the drawings, A designates the bottom section; a ct, strips extended along the opposite longitudinal edges of said section, and a a band which is secured to the under side of the bottom section and holds the said strips thereto by its upturned ends a which may be riveted or otherwise secured to said strips.
B B designate the end sections, which at their lower ends are pivotally mounted by. rivets 17 between the opposed ends of strips a, said rivets projecting from said end sections and secured in openings in said strips. Each end section has its four sides provided with bent flanges I), which form continuous grooves. Into the side grooves fit the ends-of the side sections O O, the lower ends of the latter being positioned inside of the longitudinal strips a. The lower flange I) of each end sectionis designed to hug the adjacent end of the bottom section, which fits in the groove formed by said flange. In small or medium-Weight boxes the end sections, as well as the other sections, of the box may be formed In that event the grooves entirely of metal.
of wood and a continuous metallic band Z2 secured thereto and extending on all sides beyond the edges of the wood body, said band being flanged at b so as to form conjointly with the edges of the body the side, top, and bottom grooves.
- The top of the box is preferably, though not necessarily, formed in two sections D D, the ends of which fit in the top grooves of the end sections, into which theyare positioned by bcing moved horizontally inward.
E E designate the fasteners by which the top sections are held in position. Each fastener consists of a rod 6, held by keepers e, attached to the top sections, the center of each rod being bentinto the form of a loop e which latter is slightly curved, so that it will possess a certain amount of spring. The ends 6 of each rod are bent at right angles, so that when the loop 6 is turned down against the top said ends will hug the upper ends of the end sections and occupy vertical positions. The spring given the central loop of each rod tends to firmly hold the same, so that its ends will securely bind the end sections up against the ends of the top sections. By raising the loop into a vertical position the ends will be raised out of engagement with the end sections.
When a box is not in use or has been emptied of its contents, the top sections are first I removed, then the side sections are elevated out of engagement with the end sections, then the latter are turned downward on their 7 pivot-bearings so as to fold inward on the bottom section, then the side sections are placed flat on said end sections, and then the top sections are laid upon said sidesections. In this way the several parts of the box consume but little space.
It will be understood that the several sec tions of the box may be made of any preferred material or combination of materials.
While I have described the preferred form of construction, yet changes may be made within the scope of the hereinafter-following claims without departing from the scope of my invention.
I claim as my invention- 1. The herein-described packing-box comprising the bottom section, the pivoted end sections capable of folding down on said bottom section and having grooves designed to accommodate said bottom section, and the removable side and top sections, substantially as set forth.
2. The herein-described packing-box comprising the bottom section, the pivoted end sections capable of folding down on said bottom section, and having top, bottom and side grooves, said bottom grooves accommodating the ends of said bottom section, the removable side sections fitting in the side grooves, and the removable top fitting in said top grooves of said end sections, substantially as set forth.
3. The herein-described packing-box comprising the bottom section, end sections pivoted near their lower ends to said bottom section and having grooves to accommodate the ends of said bottom section, and removable side and top sections, substantially as set forth.
4. The herein-described packing-box comprising the bottom section, end sections pivoted near their lower ends to said bottom section and havinggrooves to accommodate the ends of said bottom section, said end sections also having side and top grooves, and removable side and top sections designed to fit in said side and top grooves, substantially as set forth.
5. The herein-described packing-box having its bottom section provided with longitudinal side strips, the end sections pivoted at their lower ends between said strips and havingtop, bottom, and side grooves, said bottom groove accommodating said bottom section, removable side sections fitted in said side grooves, the top sections fitted in said top grooves, and the fasteningrods pivoted on said top sections having bent ends for engaging said end sections and also having intermediate loop portions, substantially as set forth.
In testimony whereof I have signed this specification in the presence of two subscribing witnesses.
' MILO N. EDWARDS. Witnesses:
F. A. BARLOVV.