|Publication number||US718359 A|
|Publication date||Jan 13, 1903|
|Filing date||May 29, 1902|
|Priority date||May 29, 1902|
|Publication number||US 718359 A, US 718359A, US-A-718359, US718359 A, US718359A|
|Original Assignee||John Koerber|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (16), Classifications (1)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
No. 7122,5559. 'IATENTBD JAN. 13, 1903;
J. KOERBBB. TELLTALE FOR LOCKS.
APPLICATION FILED MAY 29. 1902.
NO iIODBL. I
2???163868: jive 712 115.-
UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
JOHN KOERBER, OF AKRON, OHIO.
TELLTALE FOR LOCKS.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent No. 718,359, dated January 13, 1903.
Application filed May 29, 1902. Serial No. 109,499. (No model.)
To all whom it may concern.-
Be it known that I, JOHN KOERBER, a citizen of the United States, residing at Akron, in the county of Summit and State of Ohio, have invented a certain new and useful Improvement in Telltales for Locks, of which the following is a complete'specification.
My invention has a general relation to im provements in telltale devices for looks that indicate by some mechanism orindicia what key has been used to operate the lock.
The invention contemplates a device to be associated with the lock of a door the proprietor of which has numerous employees to each of whom he intrusts a particular key that will turn the lock.
The object of my invention is to provide a new and improved apparatus which will be operated by the introduction and use of each key and will by suitable mechanism indicate the particular key used.
To the accomplishment of the aforesaid object my invention consists in the peculiar and novel construction, arrangement, and combination of parts hereinafter described and then specificallypointed outin the claims, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, which form a part of this specification.
In the accompanying drawings, in which similar reference-numerals indicate like parts in the different figures, Figure l is a front View; Fig. 2, a similar View opened; Fig. 3, the same in section at the line w m of Fig. 1, connected with a door having a mortise-lock; and Fig. 4, agroup of three keys each adapted to operate the lock and to differently actuate the telltale.
Referring to these figures, 1 is a case, preferably circular in form and of metal, with a fiat back and projecting rim, to one side of which rim is secured by a hinge 2 a cover 3, which forms a front face for and closes the case and is secured by a lock 4 of any desired or approved kind.
Projecting from and secured in the back of the case 1 are a series of small shafts or studs 5, 6, and 7, on which are severally mounted sleeves 8, 9, and 10, on each of which sleeves are respectively projecting lugs 11', 12, and 13, arranged at different distances from said back plate and severally adapted to be engaged by a lug on the key that is used to operate the lock.
The keys 14, 15, and 16 are each adapted to open the door-lock 20, which lock may be of any approved or desired pattern, and each key-shaft bears a stud (marked respectively, 17, 18, and 19) of like size situated at difierent distances back from the end of the key and severally arranged to engage one of the lugs 11,12, and 13, respectively, when the key is used and as the key is turned push it around on its respective shaft 5, 6, or 7. Hence whichever key is used to open the lock it will, by means of the contacting lugs, turn one of the sleeves 11, 12, or 13, thereby leaving the lug of that sleeve on the inside of the case out of position.
When the proprietor.v desires to know who opened the door, he opens case 1, and a moments inspection of the lugs 11, 12, or 13 tells him which key was used to unlock the door and enables him to fix the responsibility on the person to whom he int'rusted the key.
In the drawings no attempt has been made to show any lock. mechanism, as that forms no part of my invention, but only so much has been made as illustrates the connection of my device with'such mechanism, nor is it intended by the drawings to confine theinvention to mortise-locks, as it is manifestly applicable equally to flush locks.
Having thus described myinvention, what I claim, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is
1. An improved telltale for looks consisting of a series of lugs located around a common center, arranged at difierent distances from a common face, severally revolubly mounted, and severally arranged to be engaged by a lug on a keyshaft, substantially as shown and described.
2. An improved telltale for locks consisting of an inclosing case having mounted therein a number of revolving sleeves, said sleeves bearing lugs, said lugs situated at diiferent distances from a common face, with keys capable of operating said lock bearing lugs sevorally adapted to singly engage one of said sleeve-lugs, substantially as shown and described.
3. A telltale for looks consisting of a casing to inclose a keyhole, sleeves bearing lugs mounted in said casing to designate the par ticular key used, in combination With a number of keys each bearing lugs differently situated on the shanks thereof and arranged to engage the lugs on said sleeves, substantially as shown and described.
at. A telltale for looks consisting of a casing to inclose the keyhole of a lock, means for permitting the locking thereof, lug-bearing sleeves mounted in said casing adapted to be operated by the revolution of a key in said lock in combination with a number of keys each bearing means on their shanks differently located with reference to the lock-operating portion of said keys, substantially as shown and described.
5. A telltale for looks consisting of a casing to inclose the keyhole of said lock, means to permit the passage of a key through said casing, indicating mechanism mounted in said casing consisting of differently-located lugs to be singly operated by determinate keys, substantially as shown and described.
6. The combination in a telltale for looks of a casing to surround the keyhole of a lock, means to permit the passage of a key through said casing, indicating mechanism to be operated by different keys, in combination with keys bearing projections to actuate said mechanism, substantially as shown and described.
7. The combination in a telltale for looks, of a casing to inclose the keyhole of a lock, an opening to permit the passage of keys through said easing into said lock, lug-bearing sleeves situated in said casing, and keys bearing means to individually operate a determinate lug-bearing sleeve to cause it to partially rotate, substantially as shown and described.
In testimony that I claim the above Ihereunto set my hand in the presence of two subscribing Witnesses.
In presence of- O. P. HUMPI-IREY, O. E. I-IUMPHREY.
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US3013426 *||May 15, 1956||Dec 19, 1961||Miller Harry C||Protective apparatus for combination locks|
|US6047577 *||Oct 9, 1998||Apr 11, 2000||Klimas; Frank||Abnormal use indicator for door lock|
|US7159422||Dec 23, 2005||Jan 9, 2007||The Eastern Company||Combination and key operated padlock with indicator|
|US7363782||Sep 12, 2006||Apr 29, 2008||The Eastern Company||Combination and key operated padlock with indicator|
|US7832238||Oct 27, 2007||Nov 16, 2010||The Eastern Company||Combination and key operated locks with indicators|
|US7891220||Mar 30, 2009||Feb 22, 2011||Sinox Company Ltd.||Multi-purpose detachable lock container and method of use|
|US8201423||Sep 17, 2010||Jun 19, 2012||The Eastern Company||Combination and key operated locks with indicators|
|US8353184||May 26, 2006||Jan 15, 2013||Sinox Company Ltd.||Tamper indicating padlock|
|US8720236||Feb 5, 2007||May 13, 2014||Sinox Company Ltd.||Padlock|
|US8881558||Jun 8, 2012||Nov 11, 2014||The Eastern Company||Combination and key operated locks with indicators|
|US20060266084 *||May 26, 2006||Nov 30, 2006||Sinox Company Ltd.||Tamper indicating padlock|
|US20070125141 *||Feb 5, 2007||Jun 7, 2007||Sinox Company Ltd.||Padlock|
|US20070157679 *||Mar 19, 2007||Jul 12, 2007||Sinox Company Ltd.||Padlock|
|US20070180873 *||Jan 5, 2007||Aug 9, 2007||Sinox Company Ltd.||Multi-purpose Detachable Lock Container and Method of Use|
|US20090183537 *||Mar 30, 2009||Jul 23, 2009||An-Ting Yen||Multi-purpose detachable lock container and method of use|
|USD674266||Jun 8, 2012||Jan 15, 2013||The Eastern Company||Cable shackle padlock having a sidewall aperture for a status indicator|