|Publication number||US792631 A|
|Publication date||Jun 20, 1905|
|Filing date||Aug 24, 1904|
|Priority date||Aug 24, 1904|
|Publication number||US 792631 A, US 792631A, US-A-792631, US792631 A, US792631A|
|Inventors||Frederick W Taylor|
|Original Assignee||Frederick W Taylor|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (23), Classifications (1)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
PATENTED JUNE 20,1905.
' F. w. TAYLOR.
GOLF CLUB. APPLICATION 31mm AUG. 24. 1904.
IN VEN T OR.
BY m0 ATTORNEY.
' using my improved club. Fig. 2 is an eleva-v Patented June 20, 1905.
UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
FREDERICK W. TAYLOR, OF PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA.
SPECIFICATION forming part of Letters Patent N 0. 792,631, dated June 20, 1905. 7
Application filed August 24, 1904. Serial 110,221,937.
To all whom it may concern;
Be it known that I, FREDERICK W. TAYLOR, a citizen of the United States of America, residing in the city and county of Philadelphia, in the State of Pennsylvania, have invented a certain new and useful Improvement in Golf- Clubs, of which the followingris a true and exact description, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, which form a part thereof.
M y invention relates to golf-clubs, and particularly to that variety of golf-club known as a putter, my object being to provide a putter which will enable the strokes made with this club in the game of golf to be made with the greatest accuracy. The leading feature of-my invention consists in providing a putter the shaft of which is provided with two arms diverging from its center line in such a way that these arms or portions of them are adapted to rest against both of the players arms when the shaft or with the hole into which it is desired to place the ball. This and other details of my invention will be best understood. as describedin connection with the drawings, in which they are llustrated, and in which Figure 1 represents a player in the act of Lion of the club; Fig. 3, a perspective rear view of the club head and shank, and Fig. 4 a plers liective front view of the club head and s am A indicates the head of the club, and A strongly-marked lines placed on the top of the head of the club at its center line, 'so as to be ilbllllll full view of the player when using the c u B is the shank or ferrule of the club, connected with the back of the'club through its curved end B, so that the shank extends from the back of the club-head outwardly and up player and the head of the ward 1y, leaving the club-head and its mark A fully exposed to the players vision.
0. is the shank of the club, which, asshown, is at some distance from the club-head, forked into two arms C C, these arms again being provided with outwardly-extending arm-rests C D in Fig. 1 indicates the hole in the golfground, and the player illustrated in this figure shows one of the attitudes of the player using my club to put with, the player grasping the shank or its extensions at an intermediate point while the arms 0 C or their extensions (1 0 rest against his arms. The motion in this case in using the club is a swinging motion of the arms from the shoulders in and out,
the shank and head of the club moving like a pendulum between the players legs, while the line or center spot A is directly in the players vision, enabling him to aline or set his club during its swinging motion and before it comes in 'contact with the ball.
Having now described my invention, what 1 claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is
1. A golf-club having a shaft provided with two arms diverging from its center line and adapted to rest against both arms above the hands of the player.
2. A golf-club having ahead-provided with a shank extending outwardly and upwardly from its back in combination with a shaft secured to said shank'and provided with two arms diverging from the center line of the shaft and adapted to rest against both arms above the hands of the player.
3. A golf-club having a head provided with a shank extending outwardly and upwardly from its back and having a clearly-marked center spot on its top, in combination ,Wltl] a shaft secured to said shank and provided with two arms diverging from the center line of the shaft and adapted to rest against both arms above the hands of the player. 1
4. A golf-club having ashaft C, divided into diverging arms C, C, which arms are provided with outwardly-extending arm-rests C C at their upper e ds.
FREDERICK W. TAYLOR. Witnesses:
FRANKLIN TAYLOR, E. W. CLARK,
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US3166320 *||Nov 20, 1961||Jan 19, 1965||Henry Onions John||Golf club|
|US3263998 *||Feb 3, 1964||Aug 2, 1966||Fanning Frank U||Method of using a golf club|
|US3319962 *||May 26, 1964||May 16, 1967||Summers Roger E||Golf putter|
|US3341203 *||Jun 10, 1965||Sep 12, 1967||Brill Harry M||Shaft weighted golf club including offset shaft portions|
|US3459426 *||Nov 14, 1966||Aug 5, 1969||Sherwood Aaron Wiley||Golf putter hand grip|
|US3462155 *||Jul 10, 1967||Aug 19, 1969||David T Pelz||Golf club having means of aligning relative to a user|
|US3514106 *||Apr 1, 1968||May 26, 1970||Picotte Gordon L||Golf club with pivotal,leg engaging crossbar|
|US3874668 *||Jan 17, 1974||Apr 1, 1975||John H Flege||Pendulum golf putter|
|US3989257 *||Sep 2, 1975||Nov 2, 1976||Barr Samuel J||Golf putter|
|US4702477 *||Jul 26, 1985||Oct 27, 1987||Solomon James R||Golf putter|
|US4754978 *||Aug 20, 1986||Jul 5, 1988||Herbert Dworacek||Golf club|
|US4781382 *||Mar 17, 1987||Nov 1, 1988||Hargraves Lawrence J||Golfing aid|
|US5209475 *||May 18, 1992||May 11, 1993||Ovie Loman||Putter utilizing compound shaft as mounting for upper swivel handle support|
|US5547196 *||Apr 20, 1995||Aug 20, 1996||Izett; George G.||Two-shafted golf wedge club and method for using same|
|US5551696 *||Apr 20, 1995||Sep 3, 1996||Izett; George G.||Two-shafted golf putter club and method for using same|
|US5558586 *||Aug 28, 1995||Sep 24, 1996||Izett; George G.||Golf putter head and club|
|US5868631 *||Nov 17, 1997||Feb 9, 1999||Palonen; Aimo Walfred||Golf putter with improved handle|
|US5913738 *||Aug 8, 1997||Jun 22, 1999||Carlucci; Steven||Repeatable and accurate golf putting apparatus and method|
|US6616545 *||Dec 6, 2001||Sep 9, 2003||Lee A. Lacoste||Golf putter system|
|US20060079341 *||Nov 15, 2005||Apr 13, 2006||Mostafa Mansour||A safe swinging method and device for accurate playing and training of swinging sports such as golf, baseball, hockey, cricket, tennis, racquetball, and squash.|
|US20060276261 *||Jun 6, 2005||Dec 7, 2006||Lusk Lacy L||Straight away putter|
|US20120115627 *||Nov 1, 2011||May 10, 2012||Daniel Pohl||Alignment of golf putters with an intended putting direction|
|US20150182823 *||Dec 31, 2013||Jul 2, 2015||Wen-Chien Hsu||Golf Putter|