US 814354 A
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
PATENTED MAR. 6, 1906- J. R. CARTER.
urucumn FILED man. 1005.
No. 814,854. PATBNTED MAR. 6, 1906.
J. R. OARTER.
HINGE. APPLIGATIOH E'ILBD 1113.24, 1905.
2 SHEETS-SHEET 2.
a gin/2555s 22 [NI/'23 N TOR UNITED STATES PATENT OFFICE.
JOHN R. CARTER, or AUGUSTA, KENTUCKY, ssronon 'ro ERNST n. HUENEFELD, OF CINCINNATI, oHIo.
Specification of Letters Patent.
Patented March 6, 1906.
To all whom it may concern,-
Be it known that 1, JOHN R; GARTER, a resident of Augusta, in the county of Bracken and State of Kentucky, have invented certain new and useful Im rovements in Hinges; and I do hereby dec are the following to be a full, clear and exact description of the invention, such as will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make and use the same.
My invention relates to improvements in hin es, more articularly to hinges for use on was 'ng-mac 'nes, boxes, trunks, and the like, the object of the invention being to provide a hinge consisting of two members, one of which has a curved guide and the other member having a lug or lugs movable in engagement with said curved guide to control the opening and closing movement of the cover and in opening project the edge or end of the cover forward over the body.
With these and other objects in view the invention consists in certain novel features of construction and combinations and arrangements of parts, aswill be more fully hereinafter described, and pointed out in the claims.
In the accompanying drawings, Figure I is a view in side elevation illustrating my improvements. Fig. 2 is a similar view showing the cover open, and Figs. 3, 4, 5, and 6 are views of modifications.
1 represents a body, and 2 a cover thereon.
3 and 4 represent the two members of my improved hinge secured, respectively, to cover 2 and body 1. These members 3 and 4 are provided with overlapping portions and the overlapping portion 0 upper member 3 is made with a curved slot 5 to receive a curved lug 6 on member 4. This curved ln 6 is of such length and is so disposed that w on the cover is closed it will rest in the upper end of the slot 5, and as the cover is raised the member 3 will swing upward and rearward with the cover and the curved guide 5 will move on the lug 6 to permit the cover to swing open and draw its edge or end forward over the body, and when in its extreme 0 en position the lower end of the curved gui e-slot 5 will be in engagement with the lug 6 and hold the cover in its open position.
As shown in Fi 4, instead of employing a lon curved lug may em loy two or more stu s or lugs 7 and accomp ish the same purpose, and, as shown in Fig. 3, the lug 6 may be carried by the upper movable member 8 and the curved guide-slot 5 be provided in the lower fixed member 9.
In the modification illustrated in Fig. 5 one member 10 is provided in its overlapping portion with an approximately heart-shaped opening, one wall 11 thereof being curved and constitutin a guide-wall for an enlarged lug 12 on the ot or member of the hinge, of a shape to fit either half of the opening and having a curved side edge 13 to move against the curved guide-wall 11, and instead of employing this enlarged lug 12 I might employ livhree smaller studs 14, arranged as shown in A great many other changes might be made in the general form and arrangement of the parts described without departing from my invention, and hence I do not restrict myself to the recise details set forth, but consider myseii at libert to make such slight changes and alterations as fairly fall within the s irit and scope oi. my invention.
Having fu ly described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is
1. In a hinge, the combination of two memhere, one of said members having it single curved guide-o ening provided with a continuous guide-wal and a lug on the other member entering said curved guideopening and adapted to travel on the guide-wall to control and pivot the parts together.
2. In a hinge, the combination of two members having overlapping portions, the overlapping portion of one member having a curved guide and a lug on the overlapping portion of the other member engaging the curved guide and constituting the only connection between the members. I
3. In a hinge, the combination of two members having overlapping portions, the overlapping portion of one member made with a single curved guide-opening, and a lug on the overlapping portion of the other member having a curved edge conformable with and movabie against the wall of the curved guideopening. I
4. In a hinge, the combination of two mem bers having overlapping portions, the overlapping portion of one member made with a curved guide-slot, and means on the other member located in said slot and which in either extreme position of the hinge has one bearing-point at one end and one at or near the center of the slot.
5. In a hinge, the combination of upper and lower members having overlapping portions, the overlapping portion of one member having a single curved slot and the other member having a lug in said slot said lug and the wall of the slot coo crating to pivotally support one member re atively to the other and throw the upper member forward when opened.
6. In a hinge, the combination of two members having overla ping portions, the overlapping portion 0 one member having a curved guide and means on the overlapping portion of the other member engaging the curved uide and constituting the only connection etween the members.
In testimony whereof I have signed this specification in the presence of two subscriblng witnesses.
JOHN R. CARTER. Witnesses:
S. W. FOSTER, R. S. FERGUSON.