US 828527 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
PA'TENTEDIAUG. 14, 1906.
0. P.. ANKENY. SAMPLBR FOR SAMPLING SANDS IN GYANID TANKS AND OTHER MATERIAL.
APPLIUATION FILED JAN. 17. 1906.
UNITED srarns PATENT OFFICE.
OLIVER P. ANKENY,'OF DEADWOOD, SOUTH DAKOTA.
SAMPLEB FOR SAMPLING SANDS lN CYANlD-TANKS AND OTHER MATERIAL.
Specification of Letters Patent.
Patented Aug. 14, 1906.
Application filed January 17, 1906. Serial No. 296,567.
To aZZ whom it may concern Be it known that I, OLIVER P. ANKENY, a citizen of the United States, residing at Deadwood, in the county of Lawrence and State of South Dakota, have invented new and useful Improvements in Samplers for Sampling Sands in Cyanid-Tanks and other Material, of which the following is a specification.
My invention relates to improvements in samplers, especially for sampling sands in cyanid-tanks, though it may be used for sampling other materials; and it consists of the combination and arrangement of parts, as hereinafter set forth and claimed. I
In the accompanying drawings, which form a part of this specification, Figure 1 represents a perspective view of the device, partly open. Fig. 2 represents a vertical sectional view, and Fig. 3 represents a crosssection.
Similar letters represent like parts in the several figures of the drawings.
The device is formed of two parts or sections A and B, movable or slidable upon each other by means of the side flanges a at, extending along the sides of the part A, and the grooves b b, formed by inwardly bending the edges of the part B. The part A is provi ded near the lower end with a trap or valve C, which is adapted to swing upwardly or within said part A and to be limited in its downward movement to a horizontal position or one substantially at right angles to the longitudinal direction or length of the said part by means either of a stop D or by the construction of the valve-point. The end of the part opposite from that provided with the valve is closed by a wall E. The inner face of the lower end of the part B is beveled, as is shown at F, and attached to the upper end of each of said parts A and B, which are each nearly semicircular in cross-section, is a crossbar or handle G for operating the same.
The manner of operating the device is as follows: The part A is first shoved down into the sand to be sampled and as it is pressed into the same the trap or valve is lifted, so
that a column of sand is passed upward above the trap into the part A. The part B is then shoved down upon the part A, compressing the sand in the same and squeezing therefron the water or fluid therein. As the parts are then drawn upward the valve or trap closes and the column is lifted out of the tank or bed and upon the removal of the part B be open for inspection. It will be seen that the device is simple in its construction and is highly eflicient in op eration.
Having thus described my invention, what I desire to claim and secure by Letters Patent is 1. A device of the character described consisting of two parts movable upon each other, one of them containing a valve governing the inlet and outlet thereof.
2. A device for the purpose set forth consisting of two parts slidable on each other, one of said parts having a hinged valve, and a closed end, substantially as described.
3. A device for the purpose set forth consisting of two parts slidable upon each other, one of said parts having a valve therein and a closed end, and each of said parts having a handle at one of its ends, substantially as described.
4. A device for the purpose set forth, consisting of two parts, one of which is provided with flanges at its sides and the other having grooves on its sides, a 'valve in one of said parts and handles on their ends of both thereof.
5. A device for the purpose set forth, con sisting of two parts having a sliding connection at their sides, one of said parts having a valve within one of its ends the other end being closed, said parts being substantially semicircular in cross-section.
In testlmony whereof I hereto afliX my signature in presence of two subscribing wit- IIGSSGS.
OLIVER P. ANKENY. Witnesses:
MADGE HARDING, WALLIE O. JONES.