US 878524 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
No. 878,524. I PATENTEDFEB. 11, 1908.
, R. K. GREGORY.
APPLICATION FILED SEPT. 24. 1907.
I I! 1 8 J a 1 uveul'oz finggwiy 1 Mung,
UNITED, STATES PATENT OFFICE.
RICHARD K. GREGORY, OF GREENSBORO, NORTH CAROLINA, ASSIGNOR OF ONE-HALF TO JOHN H. WHITE, OF BALTIMORE, MARYLAND.
SURGEON S KNIFE.
Specification of Letters Patent.
. Patented Feb. 11, 1908.
Application filed September 24. 1907- Serial No. 394.380.
State of North Carolina, have invented oertain new and useful Improvements in Sur geons Knives, of which the following is a specification.
This invention comprehends certain new and useful improvements in surgical instruments, and the invention has for its object animproved and efficient construction of surgeons knife the use of which will establish and maintain ase tic conditions.
With this an other objects in view as will more fully appear as the description proceeds, my invention consists essentially in a surgeons knife embodying a reservoir for fluids of an antiseptic, anesthetic, hemostatic, and styptic character, means being provided for ermitting the fluid or fluids contained in t e reservoir to flow therefrom along both sides of the blade during the operation so that the incision or wound may be instantly treated and the liability to blood-poisoning effectually precluded.
A further obj ect' of the invention is a knife of this character the construction of which insures thatthe desired fluid will bespread evenly or to the best ossible advantage over the blade and in w ich the flow may be easily regulated and controlled, and to this end the invention also consists in certain constructions and arrangements of the parts that I shall hereinafter fully describe and claim.
For a full understanding of the invention, reference is to be had to the following description and accompanying drawings, in which: j
Figure 1 is aperspeetive view of my improved knife for surgeons use; Fig. 2 is a ongitudinal sectional view; and, Fig. 3 is a sectional side elevation.
Corresponding and like parts are referred to in the following description and indicated in all the views of the drawings by the same reference characters.
Referring to the drawings, the numeral 1 designates the blade, and 2 the handle of a surgeons 1 knife constructed in accordance with the principles of my invention. The
handle 2 is hollow, as shown, and is provided at one end with a filling tube or bead 3 in which the screw-cap 4 or other suitable closure fits, a gasket or washer 4 being preferably inter osed between the rim of the tube and the mi led head of the cap.
At the juncture of the blade with the handle the knife is formed with a neck portion 5 which fits within one end of the handle and-is held therein by a pin 5 or the like and which is preferably substantially flat on both faces and of slightly greater thickness than the blade, said neck being formed with shoulders 6 as shown. Y
The neck portion 5 is formed with ports 7 establishing communication between the blade and the interior of the handle or reservoir constituted thereby. Main channels 8 extend toward the blade from said ports, and thereby form openings leading from the. interior of the reservoir to the blade, said channels bein formed with divergent branches 9 terminating in the blade.
A valve 10, which may be a turning plug valve, as shown, is mounted in the hollow handle 2 so as to enable the operator to control or altogether shut off the flow of liquid, and preferably this valve is mounted close to the blade, orat the front portion of the handle, where the operator may use a finger and 4 thumb of the hand that is holding the Indie,
to turn or 'operate the valve. the handle is depressed on both the valve is located.
From the foregoing description in connection with the accompanying drawings, it will be seen that I have provided a very simple and 'eflicient surgeons knife the numerous advantages of which will be readily apparent to surgeons and others skilled in the art to which this invention appertains, in addition to the advantages set forth at the outset of the specification as objects which it is the purpose of my invention to attain.
Having thus described the invention, what is claimed as new is: 1. A knife of the character described, comprising a blade, and a handle, said handle being hollow and constitutinga reservoir, the knife bein provided with an opening leading from t e interior of the reservoir to the exterior of the blade.
2. A knife of the character described, comprising a blade and a hollow handle, the knife being provided with an opening leading from the interior of the handle to the exterior of the blade, and avalve mounted in the handle.
3. A knife of the character described, com- Preferably sides where prising a blade and a hollow handle, the knife eing provided with ports and channels leading from said ports to the blade, said ports and channels establishing communication between the interior of the reservoir and the exterior of the blade. p 4
4. A knife of the character described, com- I rising a blade and a hollow handle, the knife ein provided with ports and channels leading om said ports and establishing communication between the interior of the handle and the exterior of the blade, said channels being provided next to the blade with divergent branches.
5. A knife of the character described, comprising a blade-and a hollow handle, and a neck ortion between the two, said neck portion eing formed with shoulders and with ports in said shoulders establishing communication with the interior of the reservoir and the exterior of the neck portion, said neck portion being also formed with channels leading towards the blade from said ports. 1
6. A knife of the character described, comrising a blade and a hollow handle, the knife eing provided with an openin leading from the interior of the handle to t e exterior of the blade, and a valve mounted in the handle at the blade end thereof.