US 931328 A
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
W. L. MARBLE. FIBEABM. APPLIUATIOK FILED um. 9. 1908.
Patented Aug. 17, 1909.
arwenh WEBSTER L. MARBLE, OF GLADSTONE, MICHIGAN.
Specification of Letters Patent.
Application filed March 9, 1908.
Patented Aug. 17, 1909.
Serial No. '119,936.
TO all whom 'it may concem:
Be it known that I, WEBSTER L. MARBLE, a citizen of the United States, residing at Gladstone, in the county of Delta and State of Michigan, have invented new and useful Improvements in Firearms, of which the following is a Specification.
This invention relates to firearms, and its object is to provide a light portable Weapon for carnpers, travelers, timber cruisers, etc., which IS powerful enough to do accurate shooting and yet can be stowed away in small space.
In pursuance of the desire to Tender the gun compact for packing, the stock is pivoted to t e breech portion.
Details of construction will appear from the following description, taken in connection with the accompanying drawing, in which Figure 1 is a side elevation of m improved gun, With the stock folded in un er the barrels. Fig. 2 shows the manner of adjusting the angle of the stock, and Fig. 3 is a cross section of the stock on the line 3-3, Fig. 1.
The gun may have two barrels 1 2, the upper one bein rifled. and the ower one smooth bore; heir front ends are secured in a mounting 3 which carries the front si ht 4. Their rear ends are held in a block 5 which is pivoted at 6 to the breech 7. 8 is the tri ger guard, and 9 is a shell ejector adapted to e actuated by a bent link 10 pivoted to the e'ector at 11 and to the breech at 12. The ing pins, 13, 14, can be operated by a movable striker 18 slidable on the hammer 16 which is ivoted at 15.
The breec has a handle grip 26, and the Weapon can be used as a pistol if desired, the barrels being preferably about twelve inches long. If, however, it is desired to use the Weapon as a gun, the stock 27 can be swun into position. In Fi 1, it is shown folde under the barrels. T e stock is a rigid structure and consists preferably of an open frame long enough to reach comfortably from the rip hand e to the shoulder when sighting. ald frame consists preferably of a p ate or butt 28 to which are attached two rods 29 which conver e to a Solid knuckle portion 30, located in a s ot in the lower end of the grip handle and pivoted therein on a transverse bolt 31. This bolt is Screwed up tightly so as to clamp the knuckle between the cheeks of the handle and produce sufficient friction to hold the stock in any position to which it may be turned.
I provide means for adjusting the angle of the stock with reference to the gri handle, preferably a Wedge 32 adapted to slide on the stock and enter the slot in the grip handle between the rod 29 and the top of said slot. Suitable means are provided for moving said Wedge, preferably a screw 33 swiveled in the end of the Wedge and meshing with a nut 34 mounted between the rods 29 and secured thereto. The end of the wed e is turned downwardly to come in line wit this screw.
An adjustable rear si ht 35 may be fastened on the breech. he arrangement of the barrels one above the other, and the thin open frame constituting the stock both ena le the un to be ade extremely thin transversel so that iFcan be slipped into a deep pocket, or carried in a holster very comfortably, This feature also enables it to be packed in small space when the stock has been folded in under the barrels.
Having thus described my invention what I claim is:
1. The combination with a firearm having a grip handle provided with a slot in its end, of a rigid stock having one end pivoted in said slot and ada ted to fold in under the barrel, and an a justable stop for varying the angplar relation of said handle and stock when t e latter is turned to its operative position.
2. The combination with a firearm having a grip handle, of a stock comprising a butt ate, two rods secured thereto, and a knuce secured to said rods and pivoted in a slot in said handle.
3. The combination with a firearm havin agri handle provided with a slot, of a rigi stoc pivoted in said slot, a Wedge sliding on said stock and entering said slot, and means for ad'usting said Wedge.
- 4. he combination With a firearm havin a grip handle provided with a slot, of a rigi stock pivoted ln said slot, a Wedge sliding on said stock and entering said slot, and a screw for ad'usting and holding said Wedge.
5. e combination with a firearm, of a rigid stock comprising two rods, .a knuckle nameio this Specification .in .the presence Of lsjecurd thenetmafnd -pgtllyattmohedto flh abwo :subsqribing Witnesses.
reec ortion 0 sal rearm, a nut secure betweer l said rods, a screwmeshing With said WEBSTER MARBLE' nut, and an adjusting dev'ice *for said stock Witnesses: connected with said screw. JAMES JONES,
In testimony whereof I have Signed my CLAUDE HAWKINS.