|Publication number||US932330 A|
|Publication date||Aug 24, 1909|
|Filing date||Mar 20, 1909|
|Priority date||Mar 20, 1909|
|Publication number||US 932330 A, US 932330A, US-A-932330, US932330 A, US932330A|
|Inventors||Theodore F Rotchford|
|Original Assignee||Theodore F Rotchford|
|Export Citation||BiBTeX, EndNote, RefMan|
|Referenced by (27), Classifications (2)|
|External Links: USPTO, USPTO Assignment, Espacenet|
T. P. ROTGHPORD.
'MULTIPLE DOOR BOLT. APPLIoATmN Hun' mn.2o,19o9.
Patented Aug. 24, 1909.
A anew. e. www co.. Pumaumociwnw;
NTTED STATES PATENT OFFTCE.
THEODORE F. ROTCHFORD, BALLSTON, VIRGINIA.
To all whom it may] concern.'
Be it linown that l, Tiinononn F. BoronironD, a citizen oi' the United States, residing at lallston, in the county ol A exandria and State ol' Virginia, have invented certain new and uselul lmprovements in Multiple Doorlolts; and l do hereby declare the following to be a full, clear, and exact description ol' the invention, such as will enable others skilled in the art to which it appertains to make and use the same, reference boing had to the accompanying drawings, and to the letters and figures of reference marked thereon, which l'orm a part of this specilication.
This invention relates to new and useful improvements in multiple door bolts, and comprises various details ol construction, combinationsl and arrangements oi' parts which 'w ill be hereinafter iully described and then specifically defined in the appended claims.
My invention is illustrated in the accompanying drawings, in which Figuro l is a vertioalsectional viewthrough two doors equipped with my improved apparatus, showing the bolts drawn within the recesses in the door, and Fig. 2 is a vertical elevation showing a part 'ol the apparatus thrown into position to causethe bolts to be projected. n
Reference now being had to the details ol' the drawings by letter, A, A designate two doors, one of which is provided with the locking bolts B and B, one el' which bolts is mounted near the bottom and the other near the top oi' the door and each positioned with f in a recess or channel adjacent to the marginal edge of the door.
C, C designate socket members designed to be seated one in the sill or threshold and the other in the top of the door l'rame and de signed to be engaged by the bolts B when in projected positions. Said bolts B are provided each with a stem having a reduced portion D, said reduced portion of each stem being surrounded by a stem D', one end of which bears against a lined collar D2 on the door, while the other end bears against a shoulder l)3 on the stem. Each stem is guided in its longitudinal movements by passing through an aperture in the bracket plate l*l and the adjacent ends of the stems each have an anti-friction roller E journaled thereon. The two springs D and D tend to normally hold the bolts out o'lI engagement member L mij Specification of Letters Patent. Patentgd Auo, 24, 1969,
Application filed March 20, 1909.
Serial No. 484,808.
with the plates C and C and with the antilriction rollers in contact with each other.
Mounted inthe door A is a knob shaft l to which a gear wheel l is lined and J designates a curved segment pawl having teeth in engagement with the gear wheel l and said segment J is adapted to engage a notch -formed in the stem ol' the upper bolt l'or the purpose of holding the latter in a projected position. The segment pawl J is mounted about a converted surface JG oi' the casing el? and moves intermediate said convexed surl'ace and a pin J5.
Mounted in the door A is a casing l through which a lmob'sha'l't l passes, hav ing a gear wheel K2 thereon, the teeth ol which mesh with the teeth liz of the longitudinally movable member L which has its outer end tapering as at L" while its rear end has a notch L2. ed to be thrown into the notch L2 when the member L is moved forward to its farthest outer throw. Said member L serves to hold the bolts in projected positions as well as to loclr the two doors together.
In operation, when it is desired to lock the doors, they are closed and assume the positions shown in Fig. l of the drawings. By turning the knob shaft K', the member L with a tapering end is moved forward and coming in contact with the two anti-friction rollers will cause the same to separate and the two stems of the bolts to move into projected positions. Then it is desired to hohl the upper bolt in a projected position, the knob shaft l is given a partial rotary movemont sufficient to throw the segment pawl J into the notch to hold the upper bolt at its highes uow. When the member L is po sitionet termediate the two anti-*friction wheels, ti. ,wo bolts as well as both doors will be ser` .ly locked. By turning the knob shatt in a reverse direction, the
thrown back into the pol of the drawings and own out of the socket sition shown in"l the bolts will be plates C.
lt will thus be ser of multiple door boh and described the bolt t only be locked by the thi` ber L intermediate the L wheels and this is accompli doors are closed and the li, given a partial revolution. lt t hat by the provision wranged as shown ng of the memanti-friction `d when the i shaft K is desired N is a locking bolt adaptving door A may to open the door A independent of the door A while the latter is locked, it may be done by causing the upper bolt B to be held in a projected position by means of the segment pawl J engaging the notch b. Should it be desired to allow both doors to open simultaneously, this may be easily done by simply giving a partial rotary movement to the knob shaft I and causing the pawl J to be thrown out of the notch b. Then, when the member L is withdrawn from between the anti-friction wheels, both doors will be allowed to freely swing open.
That I claim to be new is 1. A multiple door bolt apparatus, comprising spring actuated bolts positioned upon a door, an anti-friction wheel mounted upon the inner end of the stem of each of said bolts, means for holding one of said bolts in a projected position, a movable gear actuated member adapted to be mounted upon an adjacent door and to be moved intermediate said anti-friction wheels to throw the bolts into projected positions, as set forth.
2. A multiple door boltl apparatus, comprising, in combination with a door, springactuated bolts mounted therein, an antifriction wheel mounted upon the stem of each bolt, one of said stems being provided with a notch, a gear segment pawl adapted to be thrown into said notch to hold one of said bolts in a projected position, a gear and knob shaft for operating said segment, a movable member carried by an adjacent door and adapted to be inserted intermediate said anti-friction wheels to throw the bolts in opposite directions, and gear mechanism for moving said member, as set forth.
3. A multiple door bolt apparatus, comprising spring actuated bolts positioned upon a door, an anti-friction wheel mounted in the inner end of the stem of each of said bolts, means for holding one of said bolts in a projected position, a movable member adapted to be mounted in an adjacent door and'having a tapering end adapted be inserted between said rollers to sep ate the same and throw the bolts intov )rojected positions, as set forth. I
4. A multiple door bolt ap prising spring actuated i upon a door, an anti-fricti wheel mounted upon the inner end of the stem of each of said bolts, means for holding one of said bolts in a projected position, a movable member adapted to be mounted in an adjacent door and having a tapering end adapted to be inserted between said rollers to separate the same and throw the bolts into projected positions, and means for holding said member in a locked position, as set forth.
5. A multiple door bolt apparatus comprising, in combination with a door, springactuated bolts mounted therein, an antifriction wheel journaled in the inner end of the stem of each of said bolts, one of said stems being provided with a notch, a casing tted to said door and provided with a conveXed surface, a curved segment pawl having its concaved edge bearing against the conveXed portion of said casing and provided with teeth upon its conveXed edge, a
gear wheel in mesh with the teeth of said segment, a knob shaft in said gear, and means carried by an adjacent door for moving said bolts longitudinally in opposite directions, as set forth.
6. A multiple door bolt apparatus comprising, in combination with a door, springactuated bolts mounted therein, an antifriction wheel journaled in the inner end of the stem of each of said bolts, one of said stems being provided with a notch, a casing fitted to said door and provided with a conveXed surface, a curved segment pawl having its concaved edge bearing against the conveXed portion of saidV casing and provided with teeth upon its conveXed edge, a gear wheel in mesh with the teeth of said segment, a knob shaft in said gear, a member adapted to be carried by anV adjacent door and provided with teeth upon one edge thereof, one end of said member being tapering and adapted to engagebetween said anti-friction Wheels, a gear wheel meshing with the teeth of said member and adapted to move the same longitudinally, as set forth.
In testimony whereof I hereunto affix my signature in the presence of two witnesses.
THEODORE F. ROTCHFORD.
Nitnessesz A. L. HoUGH, A. R. FowLER.
|Citing Patent||Filing date||Publication date||Applicant||Title|
|US2489957 *||Apr 28, 1948||Nov 29, 1949||Mary Davis Miller||Latch mechanism|
|US2747883 *||Nov 23, 1953||May 29, 1956||Frost Frank S||Hand truck with multiple wheel pairs|
|US3378290 *||Feb 1, 1965||Apr 16, 1968||Mark M. Sekulich||Door locking and latching device|
|US3388938 *||May 20, 1966||Jun 18, 1968||Francis C. Peterson||Cabinet door latch|
|US3462182 *||Apr 18, 1966||Aug 19, 1969||Schacht Associates Inc||Door locking mechanism|
|US3792884 *||Oct 4, 1971||Feb 19, 1974||Z Tutikawa||Locking device|
|US4694669 *||Jul 14, 1986||Sep 22, 1987||Dynaflair Corporation Canada Inc.||Door lock structure|
|US5794467 *||Apr 29, 1997||Aug 18, 1998||Justice; Ronny E.||Security door replacement|
|US5901989 *||Jul 16, 1997||May 11, 1999||Reflectolite||Multi-point inactive door lock|
|US6705136 *||Dec 14, 2001||Mar 16, 2004||Dave Porter||Storage compartment security system|
|US6843084 *||Jan 22, 2003||Jan 18, 2005||Dave Porter||Storage compartment security system|
|US8328246 *||Feb 3, 2010||Dec 11, 2012||Hong Fu Jin Precision Industry (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd.||Enclosure for electronic device|
|US8376415 *||Jun 16, 2008||Feb 19, 2013||Adams Rite Manufacturing Co.||Multiple door locking control|
|US8398126||May 21, 2008||Mar 19, 2013||Truth Hardware Corporation||Multipoint lock mechanism|
|US8550506||Jun 30, 2010||Oct 8, 2013||Truth Hardware Corporation||Multi-point mortise lock mechanism for swinging door|
|US8628125||Sep 5, 2012||Jan 14, 2014||Taiwan Fu Hsing Industrial Co., Ltd.||Lock structure|
|US8899635||Oct 5, 2009||Dec 2, 2014||Truth Hardware Corporation||Sliding door multipoint mortise lock with shoot bolts|
|US9482035||Jun 19, 2015||Nov 1, 2016||Truth Hardware Corporation||Recessed lock actuating device for sliding doors|
|US9593516||Oct 8, 2013||Mar 14, 2017||Truth Hardware Corporation||Multi-point mortise lock mechanism for swinging door|
|US20030106356 *||Jan 22, 2003||Jun 12, 2003||Dave Porter||Storage compartment security system|
|US20050247085 *||Nov 24, 2003||Nov 10, 2005||Dave Porter||Storage compartment security system|
|US20090213540 *||Oct 29, 2008||Aug 27, 2009||Hong Fu Jin Precision Industry (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd.||Fixing apparatus for functional module|
|US20090308112 *||Jun 16, 2008||Dec 17, 2009||Adams Rite Manufacturing Co.||Multiple door locking control|
|US20110156549 *||Feb 3, 2010||Jun 30, 2011||Hong Fu Jin Precision Industry (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd.||Enclosure for electronic device|
|US20110193352 *||Feb 10, 2010||Aug 11, 2011||Lien-Hsi Huang||Lock structure|
|US20120139268 *||Apr 8, 2011||Jun 7, 2012||Orchidees Constructions S.A.||Locking device provided with at least one locking point for a sliding sash|
|US20150252595 *||Feb 27, 2015||Sep 10, 2015||Amesbury Group, Inc.||Deadbolt-activated supplemental lock|