US 953279 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
-R. A. MOORE.
APPLICATION FILED FEB. 2,1910.
1 953,279. Patented Max:129, 1910.
UNITED s'rArns rATENT orrrcn TRIGGER-CONTROLLER.
Specification of Letters Patent. Patented Mar, 29, 1910; Application filed February 2, 1910. Serial No. 541,555. I I
The means shown for this purpose includes a gear 16 secured upon one end of the shaft To all whom 'it may concern.-
Be it known that I, ROBERT A. MOORE, a 14, an indicator wheel 17, adapted to be opcitlzen of the Unlted States, residing at Chierated by a thumb or finger of the operator,
. cago, 1n the county of Cook and State of Illiand intermediate gears between the indica- 6O nois, have invented certain new and useful tor wheel and the aforesaid gear 16, where- Improvements in Trigger- Controllers, of by the shaft 14 may be rotated and adjusti which the foll owlng 1s a specification. ed very delicately; It is to be understood Th s inventlon relates to fire arms adapted that the shaft 14, except for the adjustment espec ally for m1litary purposes and consists just noted, may be regarded as stationary, 65 10 in certain specific novel features of improveand when in use it will be held in the casing ment over the device patented to me on J anin a rigid or stationary position.
I a y 1910, 2 As 1 the p At 18 is indicated any suitable form of vious construction thlsdevlce 1s deslgned for plunger lid bl ti ally and tr nsversely s, the purpose of preventing the pull ng of the th h th haft 14 Th o ition of th 70 15 usual trigger when the 11% arm 15 held at plunger with respect to rotation around the any elevatlon or inclination above or below i f th haft 14 will of course be del the lnclination at which it is intended that termined by the position of the shaft, so u d be firedthat during ordinary usage the plunger is WVhen arms are equipped 1n th m nner non-rotary. The plunger at its lower end 75 herein suggested the commanding oflicer or ij t with the lower portion of the other quallfied person will indicate to the p d lu 15, the extreme lower end of the person or persons manlpulating the firearms plunger being adapted, when the axes of the the degree of elevat1on at which the firing 1s plunger and pendulum coincide, to pass into P b done by means of y Suitable a slot or cavity 15 in the bottom of the 80 justlng and lndlcal lng devices c rri d by the pendulum. When the axes aforesaid do not fire arm and associated with the trigger (3011-: i id th plunger i ad ted to abut V troller per se the latter device will be ready against one or the other of a pair of shoulfor use in accordance with instructions ders 15 on opposite sides of said slot, glVe l. Y whereby the plunger is prevented from slid- 35 For a full understanding of the present ing through the shaft. V
improvement reference is 30 be had 110 the Any uitable intennediate devices nay be following detail description and the accomid d betwe n the plunger and the tri P y g a g 111 Wlllclfeger whereby the pulling of the latter may be Flgure 1 1s a vertical longltudlnal section, t fl d f th for r, As shown 2 certain parts being in elevation; Fig. 2 is a he i th l 'i ted at its upper vertical transverse section substantially ond th h. i f l 18 th h th thebrok line 0f gand g- 3 is end of a lever 19 pivoted in the casing at 20,
e a side elevation of the casing and indicatth l g operating in a pair of grooves 19 ing dev ZLSSOCiatGd therewith on opposite sides of said lever. The grooves 95 40 Thr ughout-th follOWiIlg d ip and are preferably curved on arcs of circles con- 11 the S v r l figu s 0 -d g Simicentric with the axis of the shaft 14, wherelar parts are referred to y ik reference by the adjustment of the shaft and with it e characters. 1 the plunger may not be interfered with by At 10 is indicated a conventional form of cooperation between the plunger and said 100 trigger plate from which extends downlever 19. The opposite end ofthe lever 19 wardly a trigger guard 11, 'and- 12 indicates is provided with a downwardly projecting the usual trigger. Mounted upon the trigtoe or cam 19". A false trigger 21 co ger plate and secured thereto in any suitoperates with the trigger 12 and is pivoted able manner is a casing 13. Mounted transin the casing, as at 22. The upper end of versely within the casing is a shaft 14 upon the false trigger is formed into a cam 21, which is suspended a pendulum 15, freely which engages the aforesaid cam 19 in the movable on the shaft within certain limits rear of the latter, whereby when the trigdefined by devices hereinafter described. gers are pulled the cam 21 will operate Any suitable means be employed for upon the cam 19", causing the grooved end adjusting the shaft rotatably in the casing. of the lever 19 to be swung downwardly and the plunger to be moved through the shaft and into the slot in the bottom of the pen dulum. When the plunger and pendulum are in interengaging position an attempt to pull the triggers will be resistedin the manner above set forth, the strain in the region of the plunger being received by the lugs 18, but by virtue of the fact that the cam end of the lever 19 is short and also in View of the peculiar form and cooperation'of the cams, a large portion of such strain will be received upon the pivots 20 and 22, relieving the strain upon the lugs 18 to this extent. The movable parts will normally be held in the position indicated in Fig. l by any suitable form of spring, indicated herein at 23, cooperating with the lever 19. The spring might be arranged in any other suitable position, and in this connection it is to be noted that I do not wish to be limited to the exact form and arrangement of the parts herein illustrated.
Sometimes it is desirable to throw the controller into such a position as to enable the operator to disregard it and use the fire arm in the usual manner. Any suitable means may be resorted to for accomplishing this purpose, but as indicated the lever 19 is provided with cavities or notches 24 into which the upper end or lugs 18 of the plunger may pass when the pendulum and plunger are swung around through a sufficiently large angle to bring such lugs opposite the notches. hen in this position the said lugs will not prevent the downward swinging movement of the lever 19 and hence the trigger may be pulled freely just as though the fire arm was not equipped with the controller.
1. The combination with a trigger, of a controller therefor comprising a shaft, a pendulum suspended on the shaft, a. plunger consisting of a unitary member slidable transversely through the shaft and adapted to impinge against the pendulum under certain conditions, and devices between the trigger and the plunger to cause the latter to move independently of the pendulum under other conditions.
2. The combination with a trigger, of a controller therefor comprising a shaft, a plunger consisting of a unitary member mounted to slide transversely in said shaft, a pendulum swung upon the shaft and cooperating with the lower end of the plunger,
and cooperating at its lower end with the pendulum, and devices between the trigger and the plunger to control the movement of the trigger, said devices including a grooved lever to which the upper end of the plunger is connected.
4. In combination with a trigger, a shaft, a pendulum suspended upon the shaft, a plunger slidable transversely of the shaft and cooperating at its lower end with the pendulum, and devices between the trigger and the plunger to control the movement of the trigger, said devices including a lever having a pair of grooves on opposite sides into which parts of the plunger extend.
5. In combination with a trigger, a shaft, means to adjust the shaft rotatably around its axis, a plunger movable transversely of the shaft and adjustable therewith around the axis of the shaft, a pendulum swung upon the shaft and cooperating with the lower end of the plunger, and devices between the trigger and the plunger whereby the pulling of the trigger is controlled with reference to the relative positions of the pendulum and plunger, said devices including a lever having a groove with which the groove being curved 011 an arc whose center normally coplunger is engaged, said incides with the axis of the shaft.
(3. In combination with a trigger, a shaft, a pendulum suspended upon the shaft, a plunger slidable transversely of the shaft and cooperating at its lower end with the pendulum, and devices between the trigger and the plunger to control the movement of -the trigger, said devices including a grooved lever to which the upper end of the plunger is connected, said grooved lever being notched, substantially as set forth, to permit free movement of the trigger.
In testimony whereof I affix my signature in presence of two witnesses.
. ROBERT A. MOORE. lVitnesses:
O. M. DALLY, O. M. TANNER.