US 995415 A
Abstract available in
Claims available in
Description (OCR text may contain errors)
L. R. STEEL.
APPLIUATION FILED NOV. 15, 1910.
Patented June 13, 1911.
W M m W LEONARD n. s'rnnn, or CLEVELAND, onro.
Application filed. Npvember 15, 1910. Serial No. 592,483.
siding at Cleveland, in the countyof Cuyahoga and State of Ohio, have invented new and useful Improvements in Milk-Pails, of which the following is a specification.
This invention relates to milk pails, the object of the invention being to provide in a pail of this character an outer metal jacket and an inner glass jacket, the purpose of the former being to protect the said glass jacket and the purpose of the glass jacket being to provide means whereby the pail can be more thoroughly cleaned and sterilized, the said jackets being detachably connected with each other.
Another object of the invention is to provide a strainer and an attaching end supporting member therefor and to provide a funnel detachably secured to the attaching member and operating to hold the strainer in its applied position.
In the drawing, the figure represents a vertical section through the pail with parts in section.
The pail comprises an outer metal jacket 1 whose walls are formed at the bottom to provide an outwardly extending flange 2 to which the peripheral portion 3 of the bottom 4 is secured, the said bottom 4 being connected with the portion 3 by the vertical portion 5 which latter bears directly against the outer jacket at the bot-tom thereof to securely strengthen the same. At the top, the outer jacket is formed to provide a horizontal shoulder 6, and as shown, the said jacket is formed with a vertical interiorly threaded flange 7 which extends upwardly from the shoulder 6.
The inner jacket 8 is formed of glass, porcelain or other such material that can be conveniently cleaned and sterilized and kept in a perfect sanitary condition. .At the top, the inner jacket is formed with a shoulder 9 which extends outwardly and which rests upon the shoulder 6 of the outer jacket, as shown. The inner jacket is formed with an exteriorly threaded vertical flange 10 which extends upwardly from the shoulder 9 and which is threaded to the flange 7. The threaded portion of the inner jacket extends upwardly beyond the upper edge of the portion 7 and is sufficiently exposed so as to be readily grasped by the hand, providing a manipulating surface whereby the two jackets can be readily separated or connected together.
An attaching member 11 is removably fitted in the inner jacket. This member is preferabl formed of metal and it is provided wit a horizontal flange 12 which rests upon the seat 13 of the inner jacket. The member 11 is threaded interiorly at a point somewhat remote from the flange 12, and as shown, the said member is formed at its upper end with an outwardly extending flange 14 which rests .upon the'upper edge of the threaded portion 10 of the inner jacket. The flange 12 supports the flange 15 of the strainer 16. The strainer is of concavo-convex form, its convex portion being arranged in opposing relation with respect to the bottom of the inner jacket and at its center it is formed with an opening 17 and with a depending exteriorly threaded flange 18. This flange is detachably connected with the interiorly threaded flange 19 of the strainer-carrying element 20. The element 20 supports a piece of gauze 21 or other suit able well known material of a suitable porous nature. This construction is such that when the gauze is worn, or should it be desired to clean or sterilize the same it can be readily removed. The member 11 is removably fitted in the inner jacket 8-and by providing the s Parana orrron.
Specification of Letters Patent. Patented June 13, 191i.
flange 12 it will be seen that the flanged edge of the strainer 16 will be held out of contact with the seat 13, thus preventing its being broken when adjusting the strainer to the pail. A closure-forming member 22 is provided with a flange 23 which rests upon the flange 14, being held thereby out of contact with the upper edge of the portion 10 of the inner glass jacket. The closure-forming member 22 is provided with a depending interiorly threaded flange 24 which is detachably connected with the threaded portion of the attaching member 10. The closure-forming member 22 is provided with a substantially funnel-like portion 25, the large end thereof being disposed outermost and the re? duced end being disposed immediately above the concavity of the strainer 16, as shown. For convenience in milking, the said funnellike portion of the member 22 is extended substantially at an obtuse angle with respect to the top of the pail. The outer jacket is provided with attaching ears 26 to which the eye portions 27 of a carrying bail 28 are attached.
The construction described herein is such that all parts of the pail can conveniently separated from each other and. readily cleaned and sterilized and thereb kept in .a highly sanitary condition. he inner jacket is graduated vertically, as shown at 29, so that one can readily ascertam the quantity of milk contained in the pail.
1. A milk ail comprising an inner jacket, an outer jac et having its upper edge disposed below the plane of the upper edge of the inner jacket and havin its lower end extended below the plane 0 the bottom of the inner jacket, and a strainer removably fitted to the inner jacket.
2. A milk pail comprising an inner jacket, an outer jacket having its upper portion detachably connected with the said inner jacket, the said outer jacket having its walls extended downwardly below the plane of the bottom of the inner, jacket, a bottom mem- .ber secured to the bottom of the outer jacket and extending beneath the bottom of the inner jacket, a seat formed interiorly of the inner acket, a member removably supported by the said seat, a strainer carried by the member, and a funnel carried by the member and connected therewith to bear a ainst the strainer to hold the same operative y applied to the member. V
3. A. milk pail co'm risin' an outer jacket of metal, an inner jac et 0 glass having an upper portion detachably connected to the upper portion of the outer acket and having a manipulating surface disposed above the upper portion, of the outer jacket, a seat formed interiorly of the inner acket, a member detachably supported by the said seat, a strainer supported by the said member, and a funnel member detachably connected with the detachably supported member and bearing against the strainer to hold the same operatiyely ap lied to the said detachably supported mem er.
4. A milk pail comprising a jacket formed at its upper end to rovide an internal seat,
a member detacha 1y connected with the jacket and supported by the seat, a strainer beans comprising a member of concavo-convex form supported by the attaching member 0 am ing element, and a funnel-carr ing mem er detachably secured to the sai attaching' member. v
5. A milk pail comprising an inner jacket, an outer jacket supporting the inner jacket, a seat formed interiorly of the inner jacket, an attaching member having a horizontal flanged portlon resting against the seat and having a second horizontal flanged portion resting against the upper edge of the inner jacket, a strainer supported by the first horizontal flange of the attaching member, and a funnel-carrying member detachably connected with the attaching member and bearing against thestrainer to hold it against the said first horizontal portion of the attachin member and provided with a horizonta flange bearing against the said second horizontal flan e of the attaching member.
6. A mi k pail having an internal seat formed near its upper edge, an attaching member threaded interiorly and provided at its lower end with a horizontal flange resting against the said seat, the said member having a second horizontal flange resting against the upper edge of the pail, a strainer-carrying member, aflanged portion resting on the first horizontal flange of the said attaching member, and a funnel-carrying member having a portion bearing against the second horizontal flanged portion of the attaching member and having 9. depending exteriorly threaded flange detachably connected with the interiorly threaded portion of the attaching member.
In testimony whereof I aflix my signature in presence of two witnesses.
- LEONARD R. STEEL. Witnesses: J HN D. LLOYD, MABEL LAWRENCE.