|US5146552||Feb 28, 1990||Sep 8, 1992||International Business Machines Corporation||Method for associating annotation with electronically published material|
|US5239466||Oct 4, 1990||Aug 24, 1993||Motorola, Inc.||System for selectively routing and merging independent annotations to a document at remote locations|
|US5434965||Dec 23, 1992||Jul 18, 1995||Taligent, Inc.||Balloon help system|
|US5473742||Feb 22, 1994||Dec 5, 1995||Paragraph International||Method and apparatus for representing image data using polynomial approximation method and iterative transformation-reparametrization technique|
|US5517578||May 20, 1993||May 14, 1996||aha! software corporation||Method and apparatus for grouping and manipulating electronic representations of handwriting, printing and drawings|
|US5572643||Oct 19, 1995||Nov 5, 1996||Web browser with dynamic display of information objects during linking|
|US5613019||Jun 3, 1994||Mar 18, 1997||Microsoft Corporation||System and methods for spacing, storing and recognizing electronic representations of handwriting, printing and drawings|
|US5625833||Mar 20, 1995||Apr 29, 1997||Wang Laboratories, Inc.||Document annotation & manipulation in a data processing system|
|US5632022||Nov 13, 1991||May 20, 1997||The United States of America as represented by the Administrator of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration||Encyclopedia of software components|
|US5680636||Jun 7, 1995||Oct 21, 1997||Eastman Kodak Company||Document annotation and manipulation in a data processing system|
|US5682439||Aug 7, 1995||Oct 28, 1997||Apple Computer, Inc.||Boxed input correction system and method for pen based computer systems|
|US5687331||Aug 3, 1995||Nov 11, 1997||Microsoft Corporation||Method and system for displaying an animated focus item|
|US5717879||Nov 3, 1995||Feb 10, 1998||Xerox Corporation||System for the capture and replay of temporal data representing collaborative activities |
|US5727129||Jun 4, 1996||Mar 10, 1998||International Business Machines Corporation||Network system for profiling and actively facilitating user activities|
|US5729687||Dec 20, 1993||Mar 17, 1998||Intel Corporation||System for sending differences between joining meeting information and public meeting information between participants in computer conference upon comparing annotations of joining and public meeting information |
|US5737599||Dec 7, 1995||Apr 7, 1998||Method and apparatus for downloading multi-page electronic documents with hint information |
|US5745116||Sep 9, 1996||Apr 28, 1998||Motorola, Inc.||Intuitive gesture-based graphical user interface|
|US5760773||Jan 6, 1995||Jun 2, 1998||Microsoft Corporation||Methods and apparatus for interacting with data objects using action handles |
|US5790818||Feb 20, 1996||Aug 4, 1998||Intel Corporation||Remote highlighting of objects in a conferencing system by logically anding a highlight bitmap and a foreground bitmap |
|US5801687||Sep 25, 1996||Sep 1, 1998||Apple Computer, Inc.||Authoring tool comprising nested state machines for use in a computer system |
|US5821925||Jan 26, 1996||Oct 13, 1998||Silicon Graphics, Inc.||Collaborative work environment supporting three-dimensional objects and multiple remote participants |
|US5832263||Mar 15, 1996||Nov 3, 1998||DigiDox, Inc.||System and method for in-place modification of information recorded in read-only storage using modifiable non-volatile storage associated with an agent |
|US5838914||Aug 5, 1997||Nov 17, 1998||NCR Corporation||Collaboration system for allowing computer to draw annotation images on the output of selected program and replicating the annotation images on displays of other computers |
|US5845262||Jul 9, 1996||Dec 1, 1998||Hitachi, Ltd.||Electronic press information dispatching system|
|US5877757||May 23, 1997||Mar 2, 1999||International Business Machines Corporation||Method and system for providing user help information in network applications|
|US5893126||Aug 12, 1996||Apr 6, 1999||Intel Corporation||Method and apparatus for annotating a computer document incorporating sound|
|US5893132||Dec 14, 1995||Apr 6, 1999||Motorola, Inc.||Method and system for encoding a book for reading using an electronic book|
|US5918236||Jun 28, 1996||Jun 29, 1999||Oracle Corporation||Point of view gists and generic gists in a document browsing system|
|US5920694||Apr 7, 1997||Jul 6, 1999||NCR Corporation||Annotation of computer video displays|
|US5931912||Aug 9, 1996||Aug 3, 1999||International Business Machines Corporation||Traversal path-based approach to understanding user-oriented hypertext object usage|
|US5933140||Jun 30, 1997||Aug 3, 1999||Sun Microsystems, Inc.||Child window containing context-based help and a miniaturized web page|
|US5937416||Mar 25, 1997||Aug 10, 1999||Bennethum Computer Systems||Method for preserving data in an electronic document|
|US5948040||Feb 6, 1997||Sep 7, 1999||DeLorme Publishing Co.||Travel reservation information and planning system|
|US5950214||Apr 10, 1998||Sep 7, 1999||Aurigin Systems, Inc.||System, method, and computer program product for accessing a note database having subnote information for the purpose of manipulating subnotes linked to portions of documents|
|US5978818||Apr 29, 1997||Nov 2, 1999||Oracle Corporation||Automated hypertext outline generation for documents|
|US5983248||Jun 30, 1997||Nov 9, 1999||Inso Providence Corporation||Data processing system and method for generating a representation for and random access rendering of electronic documents|
|US5986665||Sep 3, 1997||Nov 16, 1999||Quantel Limited||Electronic graphic system|
|US6011537||Jan 27, 1998||Jan 4, 2000||System for delivering and simultaneously displaying primary and secondary information, and for displaying only the secondary information during interstitial space|
|US6012055||Apr 9, 1996||Jan 4, 2000||Silicon Graphics, Inc.||Mechanism for integrated information search and retrieval from diverse sources using multiple navigation methods|
|US6018334||Feb 20, 1997||Jan 25, 2000||Computer pointing device|
|US6018342||Jul 3, 1995||Jan 25, 2000||Sun Microsystems, Inc.||Automatically generated content-based history mechanism|
|US6018742||Jul 7, 1998||Jan 25, 2000||Perigis Corporation||Constructing a bifurcated database of context-dependent and context-independent data items|
|US6035330||Mar 29, 1996||Mar 7, 2000||British Telecommunications||World wide web navigational mapping system and method|
|US6049812||Nov 18, 1996||Apr 11, 2000||International Business Machines Corp.||Browser and plural active URL manager for network computers|
|US6052514||Jan 18, 1995||Apr 18, 2000||Quark, Inc.||Distributed publication system with simultaneous separate access to publication data and publication status information|
|US6054990||Jul 5, 1996||Apr 25, 2000||Computer system with handwriting annotation|
|US6081829||Jan 31, 1996||Jun 27, 2000||Silicon Graphics, Inc.||General purpose web annotations without modifying browser|
|US6088481||Jun 30, 1995||Jul 11, 2000||Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd.||Handwritten character input device allowing input of handwritten characters to arbitrary application program|
|US6091930||Mar 4, 1997||Jul 18, 2000||Case Western Reserve University||Customizable interactive textbook|
|US6094197||May 17, 1995||Jul 25, 2000||Xerox Corporation||Graphical keyboard|
|US6118437||Jan 21, 1998||Sep 12, 2000||Wacom Co., Ltd.||Digitizer eraser system and method|
|US6122649||May 30, 1996||Sep 19, 2000||Microsoft Corporation||Method and system for user defined and linked properties|
|US6128007||Jul 29, 1996||Oct 3, 2000||Motorola, Inc.||Method and apparatus for multi-mode handwritten input and hand directed control of a computing device|
|US6157381||Nov 18, 1997||Dec 5, 2000||International Business Machines Corporation||Computer system, user interface component and method utilizing non-linear scroll bar|
|US6181344||May 28, 1998||Jan 30, 2001||NuvoMedia, Inc.||Drag-and-release method for configuring user-definable function key of hand-held computing device|
|US6195679||Jan 6, 1998||Feb 27, 2001||Netscape Communications Corporation||Browsing session recording playback and editing system for generating user defined paths and allowing users to mark the priority of items in the paths|
|US6195694||Nov 19, 1997||Feb 27, 2001||International Business Machines Corporation||Server for reconfiguring control of a subset of devices on one or more kiosks|
|US6199082||Jul 17, 1995||Mar 6, 2001||Microsoft Corporation||Method for delivering separate design and content in a multimedia publishing system|
|US6205455||Jul 13, 1999||Mar 20, 2001||Michael Umen & Co. , Inc.||Drug document production system|
|US6230171||Aug 29, 1998||May 8, 2001||International Business Machines Corporation||Markup system for shared HTML documents|
|US6239792||Jun 4, 1996||May 29, 2001||Canon Kabushiki Kaisha||Coordinate input system having multiple editing modes|
|US6262719||Oct 23, 1997||Jul 17, 2001||Packard Bell NEC, Inc.||Mouse emulation with a passive pen|
|US6271840||Sep 24, 1998||Aug 7, 2001||Graphical search engine visual index|
|US6279005||Mar 3, 1998||Aug 21, 2001||Paul Zellweger||Method and apparatus for generating paths in an open hierarchical data structure|
|US6279014||Sep 15, 1997||Aug 21, 2001||Xerox Corporation||Method and system for organizing documents based upon annotations in context|
|US6289362||Sep 1, 1998||Sep 11, 2001||Aidministrator Nederland B.V.||System and method for generating, transferring and using an annotated universal address|
|US6301590||Aug 11, 1997||Oct 9, 2001||Viador||Method and apparatus for formatting and displaying data from the internet|
|US6321244||Dec 4, 1997||Nov 20, 2001||Siemens Corporate Research, Inc.||Style specifications for systematically creating card-based hypermedia manuals|
|US6331867||May 28, 1998||Dec 18, 2001||Nuvomedia, Inc.||Electronic book with automated look-up of terms of within reference titles|
|US6335727||Dec 15, 1997||Jan 1, 2002||Kabushiki Kaisha Toshiba||Information input device, position information holding device, and position recognizing system including them|
|US6340967||Apr 23, 1999||Jan 22, 2002||Natural Input Solutions Inc.||Pen based edit correction interface method and apparatus|
|US6356287||May 28, 1998||Mar 12, 2002||Nuvomedia, Inc.||Citation selection and routing feature for hand-held content display device|
|US6369811||Sep 9, 1998||Apr 9, 2002||Ricoh Company Limited||Automatic adaptive document help for paper documents|
|US6389434||Apr 9, 1998||May 14, 2002||Aurigin Systems, Inc.||System, method, and computer program product for creating subnotes linked to portions of data objects after entering an annotation mode|
|US6393422||Nov 13, 1998||May 21, 2002||International Business Machines Corporation||Navigation method for dynamically generated HTML pages|
|US6405221||Oct 20, 1995||Jun 11, 2002||Sun Microsystems, Inc.||Method and apparatus for creating the appearance of multiple embedded pages of information in a single web browser display|
|US6421065||Feb 9, 1998||Jul 16, 2002||Microsoft Corporation||Access of online information featuring automatic hide/show function|
|US6446110||Apr 5, 1999||Sep 3, 2002||International Business Machines Corporation||Method and apparatus for representing host datastream screen image information using markup languages|
|US6460058||Dec 6, 1996||Oct 1, 2002||Microsoft Corporation||Object-oriented framework for hyperlink navigation|
|US6486895||Sep 8, 1995||Nov 26, 2002||Xerox Corporation||Display system for displaying lists of linked documents|
|US6490603||Mar 19, 1999||Dec 3, 2002||Datapage Ireland Limited||Method and system for producing documents in a structured format|
|US6493006||May 10, 1996||Dec 10, 2002||Apple Computer, Inc.||Graphical user interface having contextual menus|
|US6535294||Jun 23, 1998||Mar 18, 2003||Discount Labels, Inc.||System and method for preparing customized printed products over a communications network|
|US6539370||Nov 13, 1998||Mar 25, 2003||International Business Machines Corporation||Dynamically generated HTML formatted reports|
|US6549220||Jun 10, 1999||Apr 15, 2003||International Business Machines Corporation||Method, system, and program for providing pages of information with navigation and content areas|
|US6560621||Dec 29, 1997||May 6, 2003||Intel Corporation||World wide web formatting for program output through print function|
|US6571295||Jul 19, 1999||May 27, 2003||Microsoft Corporation||Web page annotating and processing|
|US7269787||Apr 28, 2003||Sep 11, 2007||International Business Machines Coporation||Multi-document context aware annotation system|
|US7479968||Jan 31, 2006||Jan 20, 2009||Microsoft Corporation||Semi-transparent highlighting of selected objects in electronic documents|
|US7503012||Jan 13, 2004||Mar 10, 2009||International Business Machines Corporation||Invoking user designated actions based upon selected computer content|
|US7603349||Jan 10, 2005||Oct 13, 2009||Yahoo! Inc.||User interfaces for search systems using in-line contextual queries|
|US7689936||Mar 11, 2005||Mar 30, 2010||Dassault Systemes||Process for selecting and handling objects in a computer-aided design system|
|US7835989||Apr 13, 1999||Nov 16, 2010||Discovery Communications, Inc.||Electronic book alternative delivery systems|
|US7849393||Mar 7, 2000||Dec 7, 2010||Discovery Communications, Inc.||Electronic book connection to world watch live|
|US7856441||Jan 10, 2005||Dec 21, 2010||Yahoo! Inc.||Search systems and methods using enhanced contextual queries|
|US7861166||Jun 17, 1999||Dec 28, 2010||Discovery Patent Holding, LLC||Resizing document pages to fit available hardware screens|
|US7865567||Oct 27, 1999||Jan 4, 2011||Discovery Patent Holdings, LLC||Virtual on-demand electronic book|
|US7877685||Dec 29, 2005||Jan 25, 2011||SAP AG||Persistent adjustable text selector|
|US7975223||Apr 23, 2007||Jul 5, 2011||Microsoft Corporation||Move tracking with conflict resolution|
|US8031943||Aug 15, 2008||Oct 4, 2011||International Business Machines Corporation||Automatic natural language translation of embedded text regions in images during information transfer|
|US8073695||Jun 25, 1999||Dec 6, 2011||Adrea, LLC||Electronic book with voice emulation features|
|US8086999||Oct 3, 2008||Dec 27, 2011||International Business Machines Corporation||Automatic natural language translation during information transfer|
|US8091022||Nov 29, 2007||Jan 3, 2012||International Business Machines Corporation||Online learning monitor|
|US8095949||Jun 25, 1999||Jan 10, 2012||Adrea, LLC||Electronic book with restricted access features|
|US8122424||Oct 3, 2008||Feb 21, 2012||International Business Machines Corporation||Automatic natural language translation during information transfer|
|US8161401||Oct 15, 2008||Apr 17, 2012||International Business Machines Corporation||Intermediate viewer for transferring information elements via a transfer buffer to a plurality of sets of destinations|
1. A method for selecting portions of electronic data on a display device, comprising the steps of:
- generating a selection area identifying a first portion of said electronic data, wherein said selection area includes a plurality of selection handles, said selection handles being peripherally disposed to said selection area;
- receiving an input from a user associated with said selection handles for detecting a movement of one of said selection handles from on said display; and
- determining whether said movement is associated with an upstream indication or a downstream indication;
- resizing said selection area among said selection handles while maintaining a selection of said portions of the electronic data responsive to said step of determining and said user input.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein said electronic data is text data.
3. The method of claim 2, wherein said step of receiving an input further comprises the step of said user selecting and dragging said one of said selection handles.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein said display device is a tablet personal computer, and said step of said user selecting and dragging is performed using a stylus.
5. The method of claim 2, wherein said step of resizing is performed in accordance with a directional flow of a language of said electronic data.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein said electronic data includes one or more graphical image objects.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein said electronic data identified by said selection area is displayed in a different color from electronic data not identified by said selection area.
8. A computer-readable medium having computer-executable instructions for performing the steps recited in claim 1.
9. A method for selecting portions of electronic data on a display device, comprising the steps of:
- displaying a selection area identifying a first portion of said electronic data, wherein said selection area includes two graphical selection handles on opposing ends of said identified selection area;
- receiving an input from a user for movement of at least one of said graphical selection handles; and
- resizing said selection area among said graphical selection handles responsive to said user input of movement of the least one graphical selection handle and while maintaining a position of the other said graphical selection handle.
10. The method of claim 9, further comprising the step of exchanging handles when a first of said selection handles is relocated to an opposite end of said selection area.
11. The method of claim 9, wherein said step of resizing is performed as said selection handle is relocated.
12. A method for selecting portions of electronic data on a display device, comprising the steps of:
- generating a selection area identifying a first portion of said electronic data, wherein said selection area includes a plurality of graphic selection handles;
- receiving an input from a user associated with a plurality of selection handles; and
- resizing said selection area responsive to said user input,
- wherein said step of resizing further comprises the step of automatically resizing said selection area to select an entire image object when said user relocates said one of said selection handles over a portion of said image object.
13. The method of claim 12, wherein said selection area further includes an image object handle.
14. The method of claim 13, wherein said image object handle is a rotational tool for rotating said selected image object.
15. A portable computing device comprising a display area and a stylus, configured to:
- display electronic text data on said display area;
- detect a user selection of a portion of said text data using said stylus;
- display a selection area identifying said selected portion of said text data, wherein said selection area includes first and second graphical selection handles on opposing ends of said selection area;
- detect a user selection and upstream or downstream movement of said first selection handle; and
- resize said selection area responsive to said user selection and detected movement of said first selection handle.
16. The device of claim 15, further configured to resize said selection area in accordance with a directional flow of a language of said text data.
17. The device of claim 15, further configured to automatically exchange selection handles when said user selects and moves said first selection handle to an opposite end of said selection area.
18. The device of claim 15, wherein said user selection of said portion of said text data is generated by double-tapping said stylus on said display area, and said portion of said text data is a single word.
19. The device of claim 15, wherein said user selection of said portion of said text data is generated by tapping and dragging said stylus on said display area.
20. The device according to claim 15, wherein said electronic text data comprises electronic ink.