1. A method of operating a call dialer comprising the steps of:
2. The method of claim 1 further including the steps of:
3. The method of claim 2 including the step of unlocking said lock via entry of an access code, and permitting access to said private directory thereafter.
4. The method of claim 3 including assigning, as said access code, a user code to a particular user.
5. The method of claim 3 including unlocking said private memory via a master access code.
6. The method of claim 2 wherein said first directory comprises a first page and wherein said private directory comprises another page.
7. The method of claim 6 further comprising second to n-th pages for openly accessible memory locations.
8. The method of claim 7 further comprising moving between said openly accessible pages via operation of a page selection device.
9. The method of claim 8 wherein said page selection device comprises a manually operable page switch.
10. The method of claim 1 including scanning through telephone calling information that has been stored in said openly accessible memory locations via operation of a scan manipulation device, said scanning including displaying on a display device associated with said dialer at least some of said telephone calling information.
11. The method of claim 10 wherein said scanning includes operating a movable device associated with the dialer.
12. The method of claim 11 wherein an amount of said scanning corresponds to an amount of said operating of the movable device, so that a larger amount of operation causes a larger amount of scanning, while a smaller amount of operation causes a smaller amount of scanning, whereby a user can scan rapidly through a plurality of telephone calling information using manually determined increments.
13. The method of claim 12 wherein any of a plurality of pages that contain telephone calling information may be scanned, each said page.
14. The method of claim 13 wherein said method includes displaying calling information from a selected position relative to one selectable page, and upon selecting another selectable page, displaying calling information from a corresponding position of said another page.
15. The method of claim 1 including accessing said private locations after a page access code is entered.
16. The method of claim 1 including determining whether calling information from the memory may be displayed, including determining the status of a page lock flag.
17. The method of claim 1 including entering a code lock for telephone calling information, so that said calling information may not be accessed without first unlocking it, whereby a user may enter private telephone calling information in the dialer, despite the open access to a plurality of other telephone calling information.
18. The method of claim 1 including displaying a user identifier when a user selects a locked, private memory location.
19. The method of claim 1 including displaying a request for an access code when a user selects a locked, private memory location.
20. A method of operating a telephone dialer having associated therewith an electronic display screen, keypad, and memory, comprising the steps of:
21. The method of claim 20 further including, for storing telephone data to memory,
22. The method of claim 20 wherein at least one of said pages is lockable, whereby a page of telephone information is assignable to a first secure user.
23. The method of claim 22 wherein said lockable page is accessible by entry of a code on the keypad associated with the dialer, whereby at least one page of telephone information may be protected from access in a dialer, access to which is not restricted to said first secure user.
24. The method of claim 23 wherein a plurality of lockable pages is provided for a plurality of secure users.
25. The method of claim 23 including providing open access to at least one page of telephone information.
26. The method of claim 25 including permitting a user of the dialer to move through a plurality of said pages via operation of said page navigation device, and checking whether at least one of said pages is secure before displaying any telephone information stored therein.
27. The method of claim 26 further including displaying telephone calling information on any of said pages that are openly accessible.
28. The method of claim 27 further including permitting a user who has navigated to a secure memory page to access information therein after entry of an access code.
29. The method of claim 28 further including permitting access to all pages via entry of a master access code.
30. A method of providing personal telephone directories in a telephone dialer, comprising:
31. The method of claim 30 including code locking one of said directories.
32. The method of claim 31 including permitting access to a locked page after an access code has been entered.