A sound transmitting system has a large speaker mounted in a chamber formed in an article of furniture under the thorax area of a person resting on the article of furniture. A pair of arcuate members are mounted on the article of furniture at the person's head and have four distinct loudspeaker chambers enclosed therein for directing multichannel or single channel sound into the ears of the person. Each semicircular arcuate portion has a pair of speakers separated by an internal bulkhead mounted in the chambers thereof.
|US3124389||Sep 7, 1961||Mar 10, 1964|| MI KAN|
|US3156500||Jan 14, 1963||Nov 10, 1964||DENTAL CHAIR COMPONENT|
|US3397286||Sep 17, 1964||Aug 13, 1968||FOUR-SPEAKER ADJUSTABLE STEREO SOUND SYSTEM|
|US3922034||Apr 9, 1975||1975||ARMORED HEADREST|
|US4507816||Dec 21, 1983||Apr 2, 1985||Waterbed with sound wave system|
|US4660561||Oct 26, 1984||Apr 28, 1987||Solana, Inc.||Fixture for skin tanning by selective light source|
|US4683888||May 19, 1986||Aug 4, 1987||Audio sound system for a tanning system|
|US4757548||Dec 2, 1985||Jul 12, 1988||Speaker system and dome-shaped enclosure therefor|
|US4790593||Oct 23, 1986||Dec 13, 1988||Protective support assembly for an occupant of a vehicle|
|US5097821||Aug 31, 1988||Mar 24, 1992||Somatic musical exposure system|
|US5141285||Feb 24, 1989||Aug 25, 1992||Relaxation chair|
|US5143055||Oct 3, 1991||Sep 1, 1992||Somatic acoustic chair|
|US5216769||Sep 3, 1992||Jun 8, 1993||Foldable bed|
|US5368359||Aug 31, 1992||Nov 29, 1994||Acoustical chair with sound enhancing hood|
|US5684879||Jan 19, 1996||Nov 4, 1997||Combination head mounted speaker assembly and multi-channel audio processing system |
|US5887071||Aug 7, 1996||Mar 23, 1999||Harman International Industries, Incorporated||Dipole speaker headrests|
|US6544165||Jul 23, 1999||Apr 8, 2003||Method and apparatus for applying frequency vibrations therapeutically|
|US6991289||Jul 31, 2003||Jan 31, 2006||Harman International Industries, Incorporated||Seatback audio system|
|US7035422||Apr 12, 2000||Apr 25, 2006||Soundtube Entertainment, Inc.||Wearable speaker garments|
|US7153249||May 24, 2002||Dec 26, 2006||Narrow weight training bench for full shoulder movement and with injury preventing spine conforming contour|
|US7418108||Feb 18, 2005||Aug 26, 2008||So Sound Solutions, LLC||Transducer for tactile applications and apparatus incorporating transducers|
|US7440581||Apr 24, 2006||Oct 21, 2008||Soundtube Entertainment, Inc.||Backpack with integrated speakers|
|US7466832||Jul 31, 2003||Dec 16, 2008||Harman International Industries, Incorporated||Seatback audio controller|
|US7654949||Nov 27, 2006||Feb 2, 2010||Apparatus, system, and method for creating an individually balanceable environment of sound and light|
|US7753163||Sep 13, 2002||Jul 13, 2010||9168-1478 Quebec Inc.||Multi-frequency acoustic vibration transmission method and system|
|US7846084||Jul 18, 2007||Dec 7, 2010||Apparatus, system, and method for creating an individually balanceable environment of sound and light|
|US7981064||Aug 9, 2006||Jul 19, 2011||So Sound Solutions, LLC||System and method for integrating transducers into body support structures|
|US8077884||Jun 13, 2008||Dec 13, 2011||So Sound Solutions, LLC||Actuation of floor systems using mechanical and electro-active polymer transducers|
|US8117699||Jan 29, 2010||Feb 21, 2012||Hill-Rom Services, Inc.||Sound conditioning system|
|USRE41384||Apr 27, 2009||Jun 22, 2010||Harman International Industries, Incorporated||Dipole speaker headrests|
1. A sound transmitting system for entertaining and relaxing a person resting on an article of furniture from an outside audio source, said person having a body with a thorax, a head and ears on the head and said article of furniture having a surface supporting the person and a chamber formed therein under the area of the thorax of the person, said sound transmitting system comprising
- a thorax speaker mounted in the chamber formed in the article of furniture and positioned to broadcast sound toward the thorax of the person on the surface of said article of furniture;
- a pair of arcuate members substantially coplanarly mounted on said article of furniture at the head of the person but spaced therefrom, said arcuate members being of essentially semicylindrical configuration each extending at a corresponding side of the person's head, said arcuate members having free ends spaced from each other above the head of the person and spaced therefrom, each of said arcuate members having chambers formed therein; and
- a plurality of speakers mounted in the arcuate members and positioned to broadcast sound toward the ears of the person, the plurality of speakers and the thorax speaker being electrically connected to the outside audio source whereby the person hears stereophonic sound including high and low frequencies from said plurality of speakers and feels low frequency sound via the thoracic region of the body.
2. A sound transmitting system as claimed in claim 1, wherein each of said arcuate members has a pair of independent airtight chambers therein and a speaker is mounted in each of said airtight chambers.
3. A sound transmitting system as claimed in claim 1, wherein the article of furniture comprises a couch, sofa, reclining chair, and the like.
4. A sound transmitting system as claimed in claim 1, wherein the article of furniture comprises a seat in a public place.
5. A sound transmitting system as claimed in claim 1, wherein the article of furniture is a seat in a vehicle, craft, vessel, and the like.
6. A sound transmitting system as claimed in claim 1, wherein said arcuate members are removably affixed to said article of furniture.
7. A sound transmitting system as claimed in claim 2, wherein one of the chambers of each of said arcuate members is in a first portion of said arcuate member close to said article of furniture and the other of said chambers is in a second portion of said arcuate member in the area of the free end thereof, and further comprising a pair of bulkheads each separating the chambers in a corresponding one of said arcuate members.
8. A sound transmitting system as claimed in claim 7, wherein the speaker in the chamber of the first portion of each of said arcuate members is angled upward to an ear of the person and the speaker in the chamber of the second portion of each of said arcuate members is angled downward to an ear of said person.