1. A solar collector comprising
- a solar collector panel,
- a plurality of concentrating lens disposed adjacent said panel in relative spaced relationship with respect to each other,
- said concentrating lens being generally pear-shaped,
- said concentrating lenses having a generally convex entry end and a generally convex exit end,
- said entry end radius of curvature of said concentrating lenses being about 1.5 to 4.0 times the radius of curvature of said exit end surface, and
- said exit end surfaces facing said solar collector panel.
2. The solar collector of claim 1 including
- said lenses being arranged in a series of generally parallel rows.
3. The solar collector of claim 1 including
- said concentrating lenses having lateral connecting surfaces connecting said entry end surface with said exit end surface, and
- said lateral surface being substantially parabolic.
4. The solar collector of claim 3 including
- said concentrating lens being substantially symmetrical about its longitudinal axis.
5. The solar collector of claim 4 including
- said lenses each having graded indices of refraction.
6. The solar collector of claim 4 including
- the axial extent of the portion of said lenses surrounded by said parabolic surface being about 45 to 55 percent of the total axial extent of said concentrating lens.