(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,379,078 Bi
Gossweiler, III et al. (45) Date of Patent: May 27,2008
(54) CONTROLLING TEXT SYMBOL DISPLAY SIZE ON A DISPLAY USING A REMOTE CONTROL DEVICE
(75) Inventors: Richard C. Gossweiler, III, Sunnyvale, CA (US); Eytan Adar, Seattle, WA (US)
(73) Assignee: Hewlett-Packard Development
Company, L.P., Houston, TX (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 296 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 11/260,055
(22) Filed: Oct. 26, 2005
(51) Int. CI.
G09G 5/00 (2006.01)
G09G 5/08 (2006.01)
G06F 3/033 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 345/660; 345/156; 345/158
(58) Field of Classification Search 345/158,
345/169, 156, 660 See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
5,036,188 A * 7/1991 Keitoku 250/216
6,034,661 A * 3/2000 Servan-Scheiber et al. . 345/668
6,784,872 Bl * 8/2004 Matsui et al 345/169
7,102,616 Bl * 9/2006 Sleator 345/158
2003/0234799 Al * 12/2003 Lee 345/660
2004/0230904 Al * 11/2004 Tada 715/517
* cited by examiner
Primary Examiner—Xiao Wu
Assistant Examiner—Aaron M Guertin
(74) Attorney, Agent, or Firm—Eileen A Lehmann
Described is a solution for controlling text symbol size on a display of a display unit based on a measurement of the distance between a remote control device and the display unit. A distance sensing module provides a distance measurement based upon detection of a transmitted signal from the remote control device. A symbol size calculation module determines a target symbol height based on the distance measurement, and a symbol size adjustment module adjusts the size of symbolic content on the display preferably using animation.
16 Claims, 10 Drawing Sheets