(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,714,739 Bi
Kandpal et al. (45) Date of Patent: Mar. 30,2004
(54) OPTICAL TRANSMISSION SYSTEMS AND OPTICAL RECEIVERS AND RECEIVING METHODS FOR USE THEREIN
(75) Inventors: Pramode Kandpal, Columbia, MD
(US); Alistair J. Price, Columbia, MD
(US); David F. Smith, Ellicott City,
(73) Assignee: Corvis Corporation, Columbia, MD
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 675 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/588,527
(22) Filed: Jun. 6, 2000
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/137,833, filed on Jun. 7, 1999.
(51) Int. CI.7 H04B 10/08; H04B 10/06
(52) U.S. CI 398/31; 398/213
(58) Field of Search 398/16, 32, 33,
398/149, 158, 162, 159, 202, 209, 208, 31, 213; 385/37; 359/578, 589
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
5,467,212 A 11/1995 Huber
An optical transmission system including at least one optical transmitter configured to transmit at least one signal wavelength and a tuning wavelength, an optical receiver including an optical filter having a filter bandwidth including the at least one signal wavelength and a percentage of the tuning wavelength and an optical to electrical signal converter configured to receive the at least one signal wavelength from said filter, a first tuning optical to electrical converter configured to receive a first portion of the tuning wavelength stopped by said filter, a second tuning optical to electrical converter configured to receive a second portion of the tuning wavelength passed by said filter, and a filter controller configured to tune the filter bandwidth based on the relative proportion of first and second portions of the tuning wavelength provided to the first and second tuning optical to electrical converters.
29 Claims, 9 Drawing Sheets