(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,940,061 B2
Focia et al. (45) Date of Patent: May 10,2011
(54) SYSTEMS AND METHODS FOR DETECTING
ANOMALIES ON INTERNAL SURFACES OF
HOLLOW ELONGATE STRUCTURES USING
TIME DOMAIN OR FREQUENCY DOMAIN
(75) Inventors: Ronald J. Focia, Stevens, PA (US);
Charles A. Frost, Albuquerque, NM
(73) Assignee: Profile Technologies, Inc., Manhasset,
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 402 days.
(21) Appl.No.: 11/998,544
(22) Filed: Nov. 30, 2007
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2008/0143344 Al Jun. 19, 2008
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/872,225, filed on Nov. 30, 2006.
(51) Int. CI.
G01R 27/08 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 324/700; 324/533; 324/642
(58) Field of Classification Search 324/642,
See application file for complete search history. (56) References Cited
Systems and methods for detecting anomalies, such as corrosion, on internal surfaces of hollow elongate bodies, such as pipelines. The pipeline is treated as a circular waveguide, and a fast rise time pulse or a spectrum of electromagnetic waves is launched down the waveguide to perform time domain, or equivalent of time domain (e.g., frequency domain), reflectometry. Anomalies in the internal structure of the pipeline cause reflections which can be measured and related to the physical parameters of the pipeline structure and identified to a particular location.
17 Claims, 4 Drawing Sheets