(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2002/0031114 Al
Terry et al. (43) Pub. Date: Mar. 14,2002
(54) PRIORITY PACKET TRANSMISSION
SYSTEM FOR TELEPHONY,
LATENCY-SENSITIVE DATA, BEST-EFFORT
DATA AND VIDEO STREAMS IN A SHARED
TRANSMISSION MEDIA SUCH AS PASSIVE
(75) Inventors: John B. Terry, dimming, GA (US);
Robert P. Basil, Lawrenceville, GA
DANIELS & DANIELS, PA.
SUITE 200, GENERATION PLAZA
1822 N.C. HIGHWAY 54, EAST
DURHAM, NC 27713 (US)
(73) Assignee: CoaXmedia, Inc., 1220 Oak Industrial Lane, Suite B, Cumming, GA 30041
(21) Appl. No.: 09/908,754
(22) Filed: Jul. 19, 2001
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Non-provisional of provisional application No. 60/219,886, filed on Jul. 21, 2000.
(51) Int. CI.7 H04L 12/66; H04J 1/02
(52) U.S. CI 370/352; 370/493
In a shared transmission media communication system with an upstream frequency and a downstream frequency carrying telephony such as TDM PCM data in addition to other data types, it is useful to use a master frame format that sends downstream the TDM PCM data sub-packets to a set of downstream modem devices and to provide the downstream modem devices with staggered times to respond. The master frame then continues to send downstream data types such as video that do not trigger a response from the downstream modems during a period of time allocated for the downstream modems to send upstream transmissions of TDM PCM. A set of rules can be implemented within this system to favor the transmission of higher priority data types while preventing any data type from taking too much of the downstream bandwidth.
—V r—1—r1 fi ' f ] ^ T
180-) 152-> 154J 158J Li62 164J 168-^ '-ISO M52