(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2004/0233040 Al
Lane et al. (43) Pub. Date: Nov. 25,2004
Patent Application Publication Nov. 25,2004 Sheet 1 of 15 US 2004/0233040 Al
(54) SECURE PERSONAL RFID DOCUMENTS AND METHOD OF USE
(76) Inventors: Kathleen Lane, Los Altos Hills, CA (US); William Lane, Los Altos Hills, CA (US); Roger Stewart, Morgan Hill, CA (US)
SANTA CRUZ, CA 95061-7218 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/731,036
(22) Filed: Dec. 9, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part of application No. 10/456,454, filed on Jun. 7, 2003.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/428,529, filed on Nov. 23, 2002.
A method and apparatus for authenticating entities to use an intelligent interactive Electronic Product Code stored in an RFID tag attached to a document as a means for third parties to ascertain a document is not counterfeit and has not been revoked or changed. In addition, such intelligent RFID tags can uniquely identify a particular document and data related to the document. The authenticating agency can utilize a public or private Electronic Product Code database as a means for the authenticating agency and third parties to authenticate documents and data in documents. The intelligent interactive Electronic Product Code can be used as an anti counterfeit mechanism enabling third parties requested to provide services, benefits or monetary payments to authenticate documents and or the data associated with the document is not counterfeit.