(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication oo) Pub. No.: US 2006/0085034 Al
Bettuchi (43) Pub. Date: Apr. 20,2006
(54) SUPPORT STRUCTURES AND METHODS OF USING THE SAME
(76) Inventor: Michael J. Bettuchi, Middletown, CT (US)
UNITED STATES SURGICAL,
A DIVISION OF TYCO HEALTHCARE
150 GLOVER AVENUE
NORWALK, CT 06856 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/241,267
(22) Filed: Sep. 30, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/620,066, filed on Oct. 18, 2004. Provisional application No. 60/620,065, filed on Oct. 18, 2004.
(51) Int. CI.
A61B 17/04 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 606/219; 227/19; 227/175.1
According to an aspect of the present disclosure, an apparatus for forming an anastomosis between adjacent intestinal sections of tissue is provided. The apparatus includes an anastomosis device having an anvil and a tubular body portion, wherein the anvil is selectively attachable to the tubular body portion by a shaft; and a support structure for deposition between the intestinal sections of tissue. The support structure includes a body defining an aperture therein for receiving the shaft. The body has an outer terminal edge. The support structure includes at least one layer of expandable material disposed at the outer terminal edge of the body.