(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2005/0076359 Al
Pierson et al. (43) Pub. Date: Apr. 7,2005
(54) MODIFYING COMMERCIALS FOR MULTI-SPEED PLAYBACK
(76) Inventors: Andrew Pierson, Sunnyvale, CA (US);
Craig Seidel, Palo Alto, CA (US);
James M. Barton, Alviso, CA (US)
HICKMAN PALERMO TRUONG & BECKER,
2055 GATEWAY PLACE
SAN JOSE, CA 95110 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/958,897
(22) Filed: Oct. 4, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part ol application No. 09/740,618, filed on Dec. 18, 2000.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/508,769, filed on Oct. 2,2003. Provisional application No. 60/171,829, filed on Dec. 21, 1999.
(51) Int. CI.7 H04N 7/025; H04N 5/93;
G11B 27/00; H04N 7/10;
(52) U.S. CI 725/32; 725/36; 725/135
A system for modifying commercials for multi-speed playback detects when a commercial break begins in a broadcast program content stream. If the viewer selects fast-forward playback mode during the commercial break, then the system selects the appropriate alternate content to be played to the viewer. The alternate content can include images, video, and/or audio content. The system is provided configuration information by the service provider or broadcaster to identify what alternate content will be played, when it will be played and any additional processing tasks required. A service provider can charge an advertiser or content provider a fee based on viewership of the alternate content. When the system detects that the commercial break has ended, it returns the viewer back to the program material.