(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
(54) VEHICULAR SWITCHING, INCLUDING
SWITCHING TRACTION MODES AND
SHIFTING GEARS WHILE IN ELECTRIC
(75) Inventor: Warner Olan Harris, Cerritos, CA
FISH & RICHARDSON P.C.
P.O BOX 1022
Minneapolis, MN 55440-1022 (US)
(73) Assignee: Zero Emissions Systems, Inc.,
Dallas, TX (US)
(21) Appl.No.: 12/060,368
(22) Filed: Apr. 1, 2008
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part of application No. 11/558,786, filed on Nov. 10, 2006.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/909,748, filed on Apr. 3, 2007, provisional application No. 60/774,732, filed on Feb. 21, 2006.
(51) Int. CI.
(52) U.S. CI 701/22; 903/930; 903/902
A vehicle has an internal combustion engine (ICE) and a electric traction motor (ETM) coupled by a standard transmission through a differential to drive traction wheels. A control system receives sensor signals including speed sensors, a load sensor, and an incline sensors. The control system processes the speed signals to generate indicator signals corresponding to speed of the ETM, the vehicle speed, the shifting gears and the speed of the transmission output shaft. One or more displays present indications of when the speed of a shifting gear corresponding to the speed of the ETM matches the speed of the vehicle thus the speed of the transmission output shaft. An operator may shift, without clutching, from neutral and to a next shifting gear when there is an indication that the speed of the next shifting gear matches the speed of a shifting collar coupled to the transmission output shaft