(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2003/0066070 Al
Houston (43) Pub. Date: Apr. 3,2003
(54) COOPERATIVE SYSTEM FOR MEASURING ELECTRONIC MEDIA
(75) Inventor: John S. Houston, New York, NY (US)
Ryan, Mason & Lewis, LLP
1300 Post Road
Fairfield, CT 06430 (US)
(73) Assignee: One River Worldtrek, Inc.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/283,953
(22) Filed: Oct. 30, 2002
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 10/026,872, filed on Dec. 21, 2001, which is a continuation of application No. 08/880,371, filed on Jun. 23, 1997, now Pat. No. 6,353,929.
(51) Int. CI.7 H04N 7/16; H04H 9/00;
H04N 7/00; H04N 11/00
A cooperative electronic media measurement system is disclosed that measures the electronic media usage of one or more individuals by a media research entity. The media research entity defines at least one specialized task useful to the media research entity. The at least one specialized task is performed by a media handler provided by another entity and concerns a handling of electronic media by the media handler. The individual is tracked with at least one software agent of the media research entity. At least one software agent obtains a product of the specialized task performed by the media handler via at least one defined interface that provides interoperability between the media handler and the at least one software agent. Cooperative media handlers automatically obtain information from, or otherwise obtain information about, presented media objects including identification tags, if present, and other information, for collection by the research data collection agents.