(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,785,082 B2
Fiorvanti et al. (45) Date of Patent: Aug. 31,2004
(54) DISC DRIVE SERVO TRACK WRITER UTILIZING LOW-DENSITY GAS
(75) Inventors: Louis John Fiorvanti, Boulder, CO (US); Steve Thomas Sheeran, Longmont, CO (US); Randy Lee Oxley, Jamestown, CO (US); Jerry D. Pasi, Fort Collins, CO (US)
(73) Assignee: Seagate Technology LLC, Scotts Valley, CA (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/151,118
(22) Filed: May 20, 2002
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2003/0081344 Al May 1, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/340,997, filed on Oct. 30, 2001.
(51) Int. CI.7 G11B 21/02
(52) U.S. CI 360/75
(58) Field of Search 360/75, 98.01;
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
A method of writing servo patterns on a disc in a servo track writer includes sealing the STW to form an enclosed interior environment and then filling the STW with a low-density gas. Once the servo patterns are written to the disc, the low-density gas may be purged from the STW and recycled by directing the purged gas to a recovery system that separates the low-density gas from air. The disc may be preinstalled within a disc drive which in turn is loaded within the STW. Alternatively, the STW may comprise a multi-disc writer having a plurality of dedicated servo writing heads. The servo writer includes a cover having a sealable opening for loading either the disc drive in the STW or for loading a disc stack within the MDW.
15 Claims, 7 Drawing Sheets