(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,656,043 B2
Huang (45) Date of Patent: Feb. 2,2010
(54) SEMICONDUCTOR PACKAGE AND METHOD FOR MANUFACTURING THE SAME
(75) Inventor: Yao Ting Huang, Kaohsiung (TW)
(73) Assignee: Advanced Semiconductor
Engineering, Inc., Kaohsiung (TW)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 182 days.
(21) Appl.No.: 12/019,453
(22) Filed: Jan. 24, 2008
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2008/0136014 Al Jun. 12, 2008
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 11/049,867, filed on Feb. 4, 2005, now Pat. No. 7,335,987.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Feb. 6, 2004 (TW) 93102846 A
(51) Int. CI.
H01L 23/48 (2006.01)
H01L 23/52 (2006.01)
H01L 29/40 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 257/778; 257/701
(58) Field of Classification Search 257/778,
257/731, 701, 730, 723, 734, 737, 738, 780 See application file for complete search history.
A semiconductor package includes a semiconductor chip, a first substrate layer and a second substrate layer. The semiconductor chip has an active surface and a plurality of pads disposed on the active surface. The first substrate layer is formed on the active surface of the semiconductor chip and has a plurality of first contacts electrically connected to the pads of the semiconductor chip. The second substrate layer is substantially smaller than the first substrate layer, is formed on the first substrate layer, and has a plurality of second contacts electrically connected to the first contacts of the first substrate layer.
11 Claims, 7 Drawing Sheets