(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication oo) Pub. No.: US 2009/0267869 Al
Gaily et al. (43) Pub. Date: Oct. 29,2009
(54) ORNAMENTAL DISPLAY DEVICE
(75) Inventors: Brian J Gaily, Los Gatos, CA (US); William J. Cummings,
Millbrae, CA (US)
KNOBBE, MARTENS, OLSON & BEAR, LLP 2040 MAIN STREET, FOURTEENTH FLOOR IRVINE, CA 92614 (US)
(73) Assignee: IDC, LLC, San Francisco, CA (US)
(21) Appl.No.: 12/498,281
(22) Filed: Jul. 6, 2009
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Division of application No. 12/115,472, filed on May 5, 2008, now Pat. No. 7,583,429, which is a continuation of application No. 11/208,108, filed on Aug. 20, 2005, now Pat. No. 7,369,294.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/613,298, filed on Sep. 27, 2004.
(51) Int. CI.
G09G 3/00 (2006.01)
G02B 26/00 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 345/32; 359/290
An ornamental display device having an interferometric modulator for displaying an ornamental image. The ornamental device may also have a signal receiver configured to receive an external signal. The ornamental device may further have a processor configured to control an image on the display based on the external signal. The external signal is emitted from a controller configured to control a plurality of ornamental devices to display coordinated images. The ornamental device may have a patterned diffuser formed on a transparent substrate to provide an ornamental image or information. The ornamental device may be a piece of jewelry or an article that may be worn. The image displayed may have an iridescent appearance. A controller may also be used to control images displayed on multiple ornamental device to provide coordinated images based on externals received or preprogrammed images.