(12) United States Patent
(io) Patent No.: US 7,015,650 B2 (45) Date of Patent: Mar. 21,2006
(54) CIRCUIT DEVICES, CIRCUIT DEVICES WHICH INCLUDE LIGHT EMITTING DIODES, ASSEMBLIES WHICH INCLUDE SUCH CIRCUIT DEVICES, FLASHLIGHTS WHICH INCLUDE SUCH ASSEMBLIES, AND METHODS FOR DIRECTLY REPLACING FLASHLIGHT BULBS
(75) Inventor: William R. McGrath, Randolph, VT (US)
(73) Assignee: LEDdynamics, Randolph, VT (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 155 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/790,293
(22) Filed: Mar. 1, 2004
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2004/0189262 Al Sep. 30, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/453,253, filed on Mar. 10, 2003.
(51) Int. CI.
F21L 4/02 (2006.01)
H05B 37/02 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 315/200 A; 315/86
Field of Classification Search 315/291,
315/224, 200 A, 200 R, 241 S, 86; 362/184, 362/205, 227, 277 See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
5,894,200 A * 4/1999 Goodale et al 315/360
6,388,390 Bl * 5/2002 Rachwal 315/200 R
6,793,366 Bl * 9/2004 Chun 362/184
6,841,941 Bl * 1/2005 Kim et al 315/86
Zetex, "ZXSC310 Solution Flashlight", Design Note 64, Issue 1—Apr. 2002.
* cited by examiner
Primary Examiner—Wilson Lee
(74) Attorney, Agent, or Firm—Burr & Brown
A circuit device for providing energy to at least one electrical component, such as a light emitting diode (LED). The circuit device comprises a positive contact, an inductor, a diode and a negative contact in series. A first component contact for electrical connection to a cathode end of an electrical component, a second component contact for electrical connection to an anode end of an electrical component, a switch and a control device are also included. The first component contact is electrically connected to a junction between the positive contact and one end of the inductor; and the second component contact is electrically connected to a cathode end of the diode. There are also provided a circuit device further including an LED, an assembly including a circuit device and a bulb base, a flashlight including an assembly, and a method of directly replacing a flashlight bulb.
36 Claims, 4 Drawing Sheets