(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,813,783 B2
Szczesuil et al. (45) Date of Patent: Nov. 9,2004
(54) METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR MAKING
BODY HEATING AND COOLING
(75) Inventors: Stephen P. Szczesuil, Framingham, MA
(US); Matt Correa, Hopedale, MA
(73) Assignee: The United States of America as
represented by the Secretary of the
Army, Washington, DC (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term ol this
patent is extended or adjusted under 35
U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/370,297
(22) Filed: Feb. 6, 2003
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2003/0150049 Al Aug. 14, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division ol application No. 09/692,704, filed on Oct. 19, 2000, now Pat. No. 6,565,699.
(51) Int. CI. A62D 5/00
(52) U.S. CI 2/458; 156/290
(58) Field of Search 2/456, 458, 2.11,
2/413, 108, 69, 81, DIG. 1; 156/290-292, 177, 178, 179, 300; 165/46; 62/259.3, 457.9
A method and apparatus for making garments that can cool or heat the wearer ol the garment. In one embodiment, the method comprises the steps ol providing a pattern board having a channel configuration formed thereon that defines at least one channel circuit, disposing a first lusible labric over the channel configuration ol the pattern board, disposing a length ol tubing over the channel configuration and depressing the tubing into the channels, disposing a second labric over the tubing and first lusible labric to form a first laminate assembly, and applying heat and pressure to the laminate assembly to form a laminate garment structure.
1 Claim, 8 Drawing Sheets