(54) METHOD FOR OPERATING A PIXEL CELL USING MULTIPLE PULSES TO A TRANSISTOR TRANSFER GATE
(75) Inventors: Richard A. Mauritzson, Meridian, ID (US); Gennadiy A. Agranov, Boise, ID (US); Sungkwon C. Hong, Boise, ID (US); Canaan S. Hong, Boise, ID (US)
(73) Assignee: Aptina Imaging Corporation, George Town (KY)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 1405 days.
(21) Appl.No.: 11/213,815
(22) Filed: Aug. 30, 2005
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2007/0045681 Al Mar. 1, 2007
(51) Int. CI.
H01L 27/00 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 250/208.1; 348/308
(58) Field of Classification Search 250/208.1;
See application file for complete search history. (56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS 5,283,426 A 2/1994 Bowlby, Jr. et al.
Written Opinion of the International Searching Authority, Mar. 13,
Taiwan (ROC) Office Action, Sep. 23, 2009.
* cited by examiner
Primary Examiner—Thanh X Luu
Methods for operating a pixel cell include efficient transferring of photo-charges using multiple pulses to a transistor transfer gate during a charge integration period for an associated photosensor. The pixel cell can be operated with efficient transfer characteristics in either normal or high dynamic range (HDR) mode. The high dynamic range can be realized by either operating an optional HDR transistor or by fluctuating the voltage applied to a reset gate.
7 Claims, 10 Drawing Sheets