(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication oo) Pub. No.: US 2006/0187873 Al
Friday et al. (43) Pub. Date: Aug. 24,2006
(54) PRE-EMPTIVE ROAMING MECHANISM ALLOWING FOR ENHANCED QOS IN WIRELESS NETWORK ENVIRONMENTS
(75) Inventors: Robert J. Friday, Los Gatos, CA (US);
Paul F. Dietrich, Seattle, WA (US)
LAW OFFICE OF MARK J. SPOLYAR
2200 CESAR CHAVEZ STREET
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94124 (US)
(73) Assignee: Cisco Technology, Inc., San Jose, CA (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/182,264
(22) Filed: Jul. 15, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/654,621, filed on Feb. 18, 2005.
A preemptive roaming mechanism in wireless network environments. In one implementation, the present invention provides a wireless client that implements a preemptive roaming mode that, when an attribute of the signal (e.g., Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR), etc.) between the access point with which the client is currently associated crosses a threshold, scans for other access points with which to associate. In one implementation, the client switches between the scanning mode and a traffic mode to allow data to be transferred between the client and the current access point. The pre-emptive roaming functionality can be configured to support desired data rates or other QoS levels.