(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication oo) Pub. No.: US 2010/0243709 Al
Hess et al. (43) Pub. Date: Sep. 30,2010
(54) SURGICAL STAPLING INSTRUMENT
HAVING A RELEASABLE BUTTRESS
(75) Inventors: Christopher J. Hess, Cincinnati,
OH (US); William B.
Weisenburgh, II, Maineville, OH
(US); Carl J. Shurtleff, Mason, OH
K&L Gates LLP
210 SIXTH AVENUE
PITTSBURGH, PA 15222-2613 (US)
(73) Assignee: Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc.,
Cincinnati, OH (US)
(21) Appl.No.: 12/718,165
(22) Filed: Mar. 5, 2010
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 11/824,298, filed on Jun. 29, 2007, now Pat. No. 7,673,782.
(51) Int. CI.
A61B 17/068 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 227/176.1
A surgical stapler including an anvil, a staple cartridge, and a buttress material removably retained to the anvil and/or staple cartridge. In various embodiments, the staple cartridge can include at least one staple removably stored therein which can, when deployed, or fired, therefrom, contact the buttress material and remove the buttress material from the anvil and/ or staple cartridge. In at least one embodiment, the anvil can include at least one lip and/or groove configured to removably retain the buttress material to the anvil until deformable members extending from the surgical staple are bent by the anvil and are directed toward and contact the buttress material.