(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,201,982 Bi
Menkes et al. (45) Date of Patent: Mar. 13,2001
(75) Inventors: Alex Menkes; John R. Sakers, both of
Baltimore, MD (US)
(73) Assignee: Baltimore Biomedical, Inc., Baltimore, MD (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/346,694
(22) Filed: Jul. 2, 1999
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/091,681, filed on Jul. 2, 1998.
(51) Int. CI.7 A61B 5/0478
(52) U.S. CI 600/386; 600/383
(58) Field of Search 600/382, 383,
600/386; 607/115, 149, 139, 79
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
3,469,577 * 9/1969 Kater 600/386
This invention provides a quick-placement EEG electrode. The EEG electrode is fixed to a patient's head by a first element or fixed section and a second element or movable section that operates in conjunction with the fixed section to trap hair and hold the EEG electrode in place. The EEG electrode contains a sponge that when compressed, dispenses electrolytic gel, acts as a shock absorber, and maintains contact with the scalp. The EEG electrode has a quick release mechanism with a break-away ring and locking groove for easy removal of the EEG electrode from the patient's scalp.
45 Claims, 30 Drawing Sheets