(12) United States Patent (io) Patent No.: US 6,775,384 B2
McLean et al. (45) Date of Patent: Aug. 10,2004
(54) ENVIRONMENTALLY ROBUST NOISE ATTENUATION SYSTEM
(75) Inventors: Ian R. McLean, Chatham (CA); James K. Vanderveen, Blenheim (CA); Zhouxuan Xia, Windsor (CA)
(73) Assignee: Siemens VDO Automotive Inc.,
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 353 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/931,394
(22) Filed: Aug. 16, 2001
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2002/0034309 Al Mar. 21, 2002
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/234,032, filed on Sep. 20, 2000, and provisional application No. 60/270,769, filed on Feb. 22, 2001.
(51) Int. CI.7 H04B 1/00; G10K 11/16
(52) U.S. CI 381/71.4; 381/86
(58) Field of Search 381/71.4, 86, 165
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
"Acoustic Plant for Active Induction Noise Control";
Research Disclosure , Kenneth Mason Publications, Hamp-
shire, GB, No. 316, Aug. 1, 1990.
International Search Report, dated Jan. 25, 2002.
* cited by examiner
Primary Examiner—F. W. Isen
Assistant Examiner—Elizabeth McChesney
The air induction system comprises an air induction body with a mouth and a speaker forming an interface with the mouth. A fender portion of a vehicle at least partially covers the interface, protecting the interface from environmental conditions. A control unit controls with the speaker to thereby generate a noise attenuating sound.
20 Claims, 4 Drawing Sheets