(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,653,728 Bi
Jhong et al. (45) Date of Patent: Nov. 25,2003
(54) TRAY FOR BALL GRID ARRAY SEMICONDUCTOR PACKAGES
(75) Inventors: Jheng-Xian Jhong, Taichung (TW); G. F. Chen, Taichung (TW)
(73) Assignee: Siliconware Precision Industries Co., Ltd., Taiwan (TW)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term ol this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/334,557
(22) Filed: Dec. 30, 2002
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Nov. 4, 2002 (TW) 91132462 A
(51) Int. CI.7 H01L 23/049
(52) U.S. CI 257/697; 257/773; 257/738
(58) Field of Search 257/697, 773,
A tray for ball grid array (BGA) semiconductor packages is provided, composed of a body, protruding portions and positioning portions. The body is formed with a plurality of recessed cavities, and the protruding portions are formed in the recessed cavities corresponding to area free of solder balls on the semiconductor packages to come into contact with the semiconductor packages; this does not require the use of flanges formed in a conventional tray to support a quite narrow peripheral portion of a semiconductor package, thereby preventing cracks of solder balls and assuring structural integrity and electrical-connection quality of the semiconductor packages. When the trays are vertically stacked, a positioning portion of an upper tray is engaged with a gap between an inner side wall of a recessed cavity and a semiconductor package received in a lower tray, so as to securely position the semiconductor packages accommodated by the lower tray.
15 Claims, 5 Drawing Sheets