(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
Boston et al.
(54) PERSONAL VIDEO RECORDING WITH
STORAGE SPACE DISTRIBUTED AMONG
REMOTE PERSONAL VIDEO RECORDERS
(75) Inventors: Stephen B. Boston, Cedar Park, TX
(US); Michael Wayne Brown,
Georgetown, TX (US); Michael A.
Paolini, Austin, TX (US)
INTERNATIONAL CORP (BLF)
c/o BIGGERS & OHANIAN, LLP, P.O. BOX 1469
AUSTIN, TX 78767-1469 (US)
(73) Assignee: INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS MACHINES CORPORATION,
Armonk, NY (US)
(21) Appl.No.: 12/276,984
(22) Filed: Nov. 24, 2008
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 10/302,399, filed on Nov. 21, 2002, now Pat. No. 7,474,832, Continuation of application No. 11/771,641, filed on Jun. 29, 2007.
(51) Int. CI.
H04N 5/91 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 386/83
Automated personal video recording comprising scheduling a show for a user having allocated storage space on a personal video recorder ("PVR"), wherein the show has a storage space requirement that exceeds the user's free space, and the PVR is coupled for data communications to a storage space provider; and transmitting to the storage space provider an order to record the show through the storage space provider in storage space on a remote PVR that is coupled for data communications to the storage space provider. Receiving in a storage space provider from a personal video recorder ("PVR") an order to record a show on a remote PVR, the order comprising an identification of a show and a schedule for recording the show; selecting a remote PVR; and recording the show, in dependence upon the show identification and the schedule for recording the show, in storage space on the selected remote PVR.