(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2003/0188316 Al
DePrez (43) Pub. Date: Oct. 2,2003
(54) INSTANT VIDEO ON DEMAND PLAYBACK
(75) Inventor: Gregory R. DePrez, Highlands Ranch, CO (US)
TOWNSEND AND TOWNSEND AND CREW,
TWO EMBARCADERO CENTER
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94111-3834 (US)
(73) Assignee: SVOD LLC, Englewood, CO
(21) Appl. No.: 10/393,724
(22) Filed: Mar. 18, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/368,646, filed on Mar. 29, 2002.
(51) Int. CI.7 H04N 7/16; H04N 7/173
(52) U.S. CI 725/87; 725/25
According to the invention, a method for providing a stored program to a user for playback is disclosed. In one step, a program selection is received from the user. The stored program corresponding to the program selection is requested. The stored program is provided to the user whereby viewing may occur. It is determined if the user is authorized to view the stored program after the stored program is provided to the user whereby the user may view the stored program before authorization is determined.