(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2005/0278647 Al
Leavitt et al. (43) Pub. Date: Dec. 15,2005
(54) USER DEFINABLE INTERFACE SYSTEM AND METHOD
(75) Inventors: Joseph M. Leavitt, Huntsville, AL
(US); Scott A. Mills, Hilliard, OH (US)
STERNE, KESSLER, GOLDSTEIN & FOX
1100 NEW YORK AVENUE, N.W.
WASHINGTON, DC 20005 (US)
(73) Assignee: Change Tools, Inc., Huntsville, AL
(21) Appl. No.: 11/139,612
(22) Filed: May 31, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation ol application No. 09/986,765, filed on Nov. 9, 2001, now Pat. No. 6,918,091.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/247,643, filed on Nov. 9, 2000. Provisional application No. 60/325,179, filed on Sep. 28, 2001.
(51) Int. CI.7 G06F 3 00
(52) U.S. CI 715/765; 715/779; 715/826;
In a cursor-based computing environment having a display, a user definable interface (UDI) is displayed upon activation by a user. The UDI has a plurality of levels each having a plurality of buttons and is displayed in a selectable position about a pointer position in a display area to reduce pointer commute. The user selects a visual appearance and shape of the UDI, and the number of buttons. The user assigns a command to each of the plurality of buttons at each of the plurality of levels by dragging and dropping from one or more applications of the apparatus.