(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: Us 7,279,781 B2
Bolken (45) Date of Patent: Oct. 9,2007
(54) TWO-STAGE TRANSFER MOLDING
DEVICE TO ENCAPSULATE MMC MODULE
(75) Inventor: Todd O. Bolken, Meridian, ID (US)
(73) Assignee: Micron Technology, Inc., Boise, ID (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 137 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/791,192
(22) Filed: Mar. 2, 2004
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2004/0169265 Al Sep. 2, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Continuation of application No. 10/357,586, filed on Feb. 3, 2003, now Pat. No. 6,730,995, which is a continuation of application No. 10/092,216, filed on Mar. 5, 2002, now Pat. No. 6,538,311, which is a division of application No. 09/879,171, filed on Jun. 12, 2001, now Pat. No. 6,444,501.
(51) Int. CI.
H01L 23/02 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 257/679; 257/687; 257/787;
257/790; 257/793; 257/E21.502
(58) Field of Classification Search 257/679,
257/687, 787, 790, 793 See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
A semiconductor card includes a printed circuit substrate upon which is mounted a card circuit including one or more semiconductor components such as dice or packages. External contacts link the card circuit to the circuit of another apparatus by removable insertion therein. The substrate is defined by a peripheral opening in a surrounding frame, which may be part of a multiframe strip. The substrate is connected to the frame by connecting segments. The card includes a first plastic casting molded to the substrate and encapsulating the semiconductor components while leaving a peripheral portion of the substrate uncovered. A second plastic casting is molded to the peripheral portion to abut the first plastic casting and form the card periphery. A method for fabricating the semiconductor card is also included.
17 Claims, 16 Drawing Sheets