(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,665,060 Bi
Zahniser et al. (45) Date of Patent: Dec. 16,2003
(54) CYTOLOGICAL IMAGING SYSTEM AND METHOD
(75) Inventors: David J. Zahniser, Wellesley, MA (US); Matthew S. Zelinski, Worthington, OH (US); Thomas Dolash, Worthington, OH (US); Garrick L. Maenle, Columbus, OH (US); Mark Fleming, Columbus, OH (US); John Laudo, Columbus, OH (US)
(73) Assignee: Cytyc Corporation, Boxborough, MA (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/430,117
(22) Filed: Oct. 29, 1999
(51) Int. CI.7 G01N 33/48; G01N 21/47
(52) U.S. CI 356/39; 422/82.01; 436/164
(58) Field of Search 356/39, 432; 436/63,
436/46, 164, 166; 422/68.1, 82.05, 82.09
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
Beach et al., "A light-emitting diode light standard for photo-and videomicroscopy," Journal of Microscopy, vol. 172, Pt. 1, Oct. 1993, pp. 41^18.
Beach, "A LED light calibration source for dual-wavelength microscopy," Cell Calcium, vol. 21, Pt. 1, 1997, pp. 63-68.
Primary Examiner—Zandra V. Smith
(74) Attorney, Agent, or Firm—Bingham McCutchen LLP
The present invention relates to the analysis of cytological material. Specifically, the invention relates to stains and methods of producing the stains, methods of staining cells for cytological or histological analysis to contrast the nuclear portion of the cell from the cytoplasmic portion, and systems and methods for illuminating a cytological sample. The analysis can be automated or manual.
20 Claims, 18 Drawing Sheets