(54) SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR GENERATING AND VERIFYING A SELF-AUTHENTICATING DOCUMENT
(75) Inventor: Frederick Schuessler, Baiting Hollow, NY (US)
(73) Assignee: Symbol Technologies, Inc., Holtsville, NY (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 763 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/370,175
(22) Filed: Feb. 19, 2003
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2003/0210802 Al Nov. 13, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/358,848, filed on Feb. 22, 2002.
(51) Int. CI.
G06K 9/00 (2006.01)
G0SB 19/00 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 382/100; 382/112; 340/5.86
(58) Field of Classification Search 382/100,
382/112; 340/5.86 See application file for complete search history.
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
5,765,176 A * 6/1998 Bloomberg 715/514
Described are a system and method for verifying a selfauthenticating document. First, an image is obtained of at least a predetermined portion of the document. Then, the image is divided into a predetermined number of pixel groups, each pixel group including a plurality of pixels and pixel characteristic data for each pixel is determined. A pixel group classification data for each pixel group is determined as a function of the pixel characteristics data. Based on the pixel group classification data and a location of the corresponding pixel group in the image, a characteristic digital data "CDD" for the image is generated. The CDD is added to the document. Upon a request for verification of the document, the CDD is extracted from the document. Then, a further CDD based on the image is generated. The document is verified only if the CDD is substantially identical to the further CDD.
20 Claims, 8 Drawing Sheets