(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication
Calasso et al.
(54) BODY FLUID SAMPLING DEVICE
(76) Inventors: Irio Calasso, Arth (CH); Patrick Griss, Zuerich (CH); Emad Saroflm, Zug (CH); Rainer Jaeggi, Wohlen (CH); Uwe Kraemer, Ilvesheim (DE); Dave Hasker, Palo Alto, CA (US); Volker Zimmer, Laumersheim (DE); Wilfried Schmid, Mannheim (DE); Otto Fuerst, Viernheim (DE); Hans List, Hesseneck-Kailbach (DE); Hans-Peter Haar, Wiesloch (DE); Theo Arnitz, Waghaeusel (DE); Steven N. Roe, San Mateo, CA (US)
WOODARD, EMHARDT, MORIARTY,
MCNETT & HENRY LLP
111 MONUMENT CIRCLE, SUITE 3700
INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46204-5137 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/470,368
(22) Filed: Sep. 6, 2006
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. PCT/EP05/02357, filed on Mar. 7, 2005.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/642,956, filed on Jan. 11, 2005.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Mar. 6, 2004 (EP) 04005385.2
(51) Int. CI.
A61B 5/00 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 600/583; 600/584
Body fluid sampling device comprising a skin-piercing element having a collection zone for receiving body fluid, and the device further comprising a fluid receiving means remote spaced apart from the collection zone so that body fluid in the collection zone will not contact the fluid receiving means initially. The collection zone takes up a very small volume of body fluid of about 10 to 500 nl in a very short time period of less than 0.5 seconds. The fluid receiving means may have a test zone for performing an analytical reaction. Fluid sample from the collection zone is automatically or manually transported to the fluid receiving means to contact the fluid with the test zone.