(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2003/0175775 Al
LePoul et al. (43) Pub. Date: Sep. 18,2003
(54) LIGAND FOR G-PROTEIN COUPLED
RECEPTOR GPR43 AND USES THEREOF
(76) Inventors: Emmanuel LePoul, Bruxelles (BE);
Michel Detheux, Mons (BE); Stephane
Brezillon, Dzlbeek (BE); Vincent
Lannoy, Liernu (BE); Marc
Parmentier, Beersel (BE)
PALMER & DODGE, LLP
KATHLEEN M. WILLIAMS
111 HUNTINGTON AVENUE
BOSTON, MA 02199 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/337,992
(22) Filed: Jan. 7, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/346,396, filed on Jan. 7, 2002.
(51) Int. CI.7 C12Q 1/68; G01N 33/53;
(52) U.S. CI 435/6; 435/7.1; 514/1
The present invention is related to the G-protein coupled orphan receptor GPR43 and the identification ol short chain latty acids as natural ligands ol the receptor. The invention lurther relates to assays for the identification ol agents that modulate GPR43 ligand binding and signalling activity, as well as compositions consisting essentially ol an isolated GPR43 polypeptide and an isolated short chain latty acid. The invention also relates to diagnostic methods and kits that take advantage ol the novel interaction ol GPR43 with short chain latty acids.
kinetic plot of increase of intracellular calcium in PMN for
varying concentration of Na propionate.