(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (i0) Pub. No.: US 2008/0284919 Al
Vorenkamp et al. (43) Pub. Date: Nov. 20,2008
(54) FULLY INTEGRATED TUNER
(75) Inventors: Pieter Vorenkamp, Aliso Viejo, CA
(US); Klaas Bult, LK Bosch En
Duin (NL); Frank Carr, Dove
Canyon (GB); Christopher M.
Ward, AJ Bunnik (NL); Ralph
Duncan, Brentwood, CA (US);
Tom W. Kwan, Milpitas, CA (US);
James Y.C. Chang, Irvine, CA
(US); Haideh Khorramabadi, Palo
Alto, CA (US)
STERNE, KESSLER, GOLDSTEIN & FOX P.L.
1100 NEW YORK AVENUE, N.W
WASHINGTON, DC 20005 (US)
(73) Assignee: Broadcom Corporation, Irvine,
(21) Appl.No.: 12/219,925
(22) Filed: Jul. 30, 2008
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 11/393,899, filed on Mar. 31, 2006, now Pat. No. 7,423,699, which is a continuation of application No. 09/439,101, filed on Nov. 12, 1999, now Pat. No. 7,092,043.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/108,459, filed on Nov. 12, 1998, provisional application No. 60/108,209, filed on Nov. 12, 1998, provisional application No.
60/108,210, filedonNov. 12, 1998, provisional application No. 60/117,609, filed on Jan. 28, 1999, provisional application No. 60/136,115, filed on May 26, 1999, provisional application No. 60/136,116, filed on May 26, 1999, provisional application No. 60/136, 654, filed on May 27, 1999, provisional application No. 60/159,726, filed on Oct. 15, 1999.
(51) Int. CI.
(52) U.S. CI 348/735; 348/725; 348/E05.096
An integrated receiver with channel selection and image rejection substantially implemented on a single CMOS integrated circuit is described. A receiver front end provides programmable attenuation and a programmable gain low noise amplifier. Frequency conversion circuitry advantageously uses LC filters integrated onto the substrate in conjunction with image reject mixers to provide sufficient image frequency rejection. Filter tuning and inductor Q compensation over temperature are performed on chip. The filters utilize multi track spiral inductors. The filters are tuned using local oscillators to tune a substitute filter, and frequency scaling during filter component values to those of the filter being tuned. In conjunction with filtering, frequency planning provides additional image rejection. The advantageous choice of local oscillator signal generation methods on chip is by PLL out of band local oscillation and by direct synthesis for in band local oscillator. The VCOs in the PLLs are centered using a control circuit to center the tuning capacitance range. A differential crystal oscillator is advantageously used as a frequency reference. Differential signal transmission is advantageously used throughout the receiver.