(54) ACTIVE MATRIX TYPE DISPLAY DEVICE,
ACTIVE MATRIX TYPE ORGANIC
ELECTROLUMINESCENT DISPLAY DEVICE,
AND METHODS OF DRIVING SUCH
(75) Inventors: Akira Yumoto, Kanagawa (JP); Mitsuru Asano, Kanagawa (JP)
(73) Assignee: Sony Corporation, Tokyo (JP)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 456 days.
This patent is subject to a terminal disclaimer.
(21) Appl.No.: 11/323,414
(22) Filed: Dec. 30, 2005
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2006/0170624 Al Aug. 3, 2006
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 10/221,402, filed as application No. PCT/JP02/00152 on Jan. 11,2002, now Pat. No. 7,019,717.
(30) Foreign Application Priority Data
Jan. 15,2001 (JP) P2001-006387
(51) Int. CI.
G09G 3/30 (2006.01)
(52) U.S. CI 345/76
(58) Field of Classification Search 345/76 83;
315/169.1-169.4 See application file for complete search history.
When a current-writing type pixel circuit is made, it involves a greater number of transistors and TFTs occupy much of the area of the pixel circuit. To alleviate this problem, two pixel circuits (PI, P2) have a first scanning TFT (14), a currentvoltage conversion TFT (16), respective second scanning TFTs (15-1, 15-2), capacitors (13-1, 13-2), and drive TFTs (12-1,12-2) for OLED including organic EL elements (11-2, 11-2) of two pixels, for example, in a row direction. In each of the pixel circuits, the first scanning TFT (14) handling a large amount of current (Iw) as compare with current flowing through the OLED (11-2,11-2), and the current-voltage conversion TFT (16) are shared between two pixels.
13 Claims, 13 Drawing Sheets