(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,317,025 Bi
Leon et al. (45) Date of Patent: *Nov. 13,2001
(54) PROGRAMMABLE LOCK AND SECURITY SYSTEM THEREFOR
(75) Inventors: Jeremy Phelps Leon, Morris Plains, NJ (US); Lynn Frederick Amis, Omaha, NE (US); Jan Nazalewicz, Mahwah; Thomas Glenn McKee, Jr., Passaic, both ol NJ (US)
(73) Assignee: E. J. Brooks Company, Livingston, NJ (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 36 days.
This patent is subject to a terminal disclaimer.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/590,989
(22) Filed: Jun. 9, 2000
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 08/982,434, filed on Dec. 2,
1997, now Pat. No. 6,097,306. (60) Provisional application No. 60/032,293, filed on Dec. 3,
(51) Int. C I. II04Q 17/00
(52) U.S. CI 340/5.21; 340/10.1; 340/10.52;
(58) Field of Search 340/5.21, 10.1,
340/10.52; 235/380, 382
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
4/1981 Stieff et al. .
2/1988 Larson et al. .
6/1988 Denekamp et al. .
8/1988 Hayward .
8/1988 Henderson et al. .
4,262,284 4,727,368 4,750,197 4,766,419 4,766,746 4,887,292 12/1989 Barrett et al.
Locks for the transportation industry are programmable with a keypad and with handheld activators, the activators being programmable by a central system and activators via IR transmitters and receivers. Operator PIN numbers and access codes manifesting the supervisory level of authority are encoded in each lock which are programmed to open a given number of times in a given time period with or without entry of a code and include a lockout feature for disabling the lock in case of invalid code entry. Each lock has a log history containing the number of complete and incomplete opening transactions, when they occurred and the operator codes associated therewith. The locks are opened by IR transmission of the appropriate codes or by keypad entries. One or more individuals at different levels of authority may open one or more locks in a given time frame a given number of times. Each lock records its transaction history which is displayed and downloaded for system evaluation.
21 Claims, 17 Drawing Sheets