(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2005/0276799 Al
Hinton et al. (43) Pub. Date: Dec. 15,2005
(54) ALTERATION OF FCRN BINDING
AFFINITIES OR SERUM HALF-LIVES OF
ANTIBODIES BY MUTAGENESIS
(76) Inventors: Paul R. Hinton, Sunnyvale, CA (US);
Naoya Tsurushita, Palo Alto, CA (US);
J. Yun Tso, Menlo Park, CA (US);
Maximiliano Vasquez, Palo Alto, CA
C/O IP DOCKETING DEPARTMENT
2941 FAIRVIEW PARK DRIVE, SUITE 200
FALLS CHURCH, VA 22042-2924 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 11/102,621
(22) Filed: Apr. 8, 2005
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part of application No. 10/822,300, filed on Apr. 9, 2004, which is a continuation-in-part of application No. 10/687,118, filed on Oct. 15, 2003.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/418,972, filed on Oct. 15, 2002. Provisional application No. 60/462,014, filed on Apr. 10, 2003. Provisional application No. 60/475,762, filed on Jun. 3, 2003. Provisional application No. 60/499,048, filed on Aug. 29, 2003.
(51) Int. CI.7 A61K 39/395; C07K 16/44;
(52) U.S. CI 424/133.1; 424/145.1; 530/387.3;
The present invention provides for a modified antibody of class IgG, in which at least one amino acid from the heavy chain constant region selected from the group consisting of amino acid residues 250, 314, and 428 is substituted with another amino acid which is different from that present in the unmodified antibody, thereby altering the binding affinity for FcRn and/or the serum half-life in comparison to the unmodified antibody.