(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2004/0186565 Al
Schreck (43) Pub. Date: Sep. 23,2004
(54) MINIMALLY-INVASIVE HEART VALVES WITH WIREFORMS
(76) Inventor: Stefan Schreck, Vista, CA (US)
EDWARDS LIFESCIENCES CORPORATION
ONE EDWARDS WAY
IRVINE, CA 92614 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/766,139
(22) Filed: Jan. 28, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Continuation of application No. 10/185,812, filed on Jun. 28, 2002, now Pat. No. 6,767,362, which is a division of application No. 09/549,413, filed on Apr. 6, 2000, now Pat. No. 6,454,799.
(51) Int. CI.7 A611- 2/24
(52) U.S. CI 623/2.18; 623/2.38
Expandable heart valves for minimally invasive valve replacement surgeries are disclosed. In a first embodiment, an expandable pre-assembled heart valve includes a plastically-expandable annular base having plurality of upstanding commissure posts. A tubular flexible member including a prosthetic section and a fabric section is provided, with the prosthetic section being connected to the commissure posts and defining leaflets therebetween, and the fabric section being attached to the annular base. In a second embodiment, an expandable heart valve includes an annular tissue-engaging base and a subassembly having an elastic wireform and a plurality of leaflets connected thereto. The annular base and subassembly are separately stored and connected just prior to delivery to the host annulus. Preferably, the leaflet subassembly is stored in its relaxed configuration to avoid deformation of the leaflets. The expandable heart valves maybe implanted using a balloon catheter. Preferably, the leaflets of the heart valves are secured to the commissure regions of the expandable stents using a clamping arrangement to reduce stress.