(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,440,246 Bi
Vogt et al. (45) Date of Patent: Aug. 27,2002
(54) METHOD OF APPLYING CURVED LEG ELASTICS USING ROTATING DISKS
(75) Inventors: Robert Eugene Vogt; Shawn A.
Quereshi; Joseph D. Coenen, all of
Neenah; Robert Lee Popp, Hortonville,
all of WI (US)
(73) Assignee: Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc.,
Neenah, WI (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 56 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/638,401
(22) Filed: Aug. 15, 2000
(51) Int. C I. A61F 13/15
(52) U.S. CI 156/163; 156/164; 156/229;
(58) Field of Search 156/161, 163,
156/164, 229, 256
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
A method of applying curved leg elastics to absorbent garments involves stretching and wrapping a pair of elastic ribbons about a first curved surface of a pair of disks. A portion of each of the elastic ribbons folds onto a second surface of each of the disks. The disks are rotated about a point off-center from a center point of the disks. The portions of the elastic ribbons on the second surfaces of the disks are rotated onto a substrate and bonded to the substrate in their stretched positions on the disks, thereby forming finished seams. The resulting absorbent garments have gasket-like leg openings with improved comfort and aesthetic appeal.
36 Claims, 7 Drawing Sheets