(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,881,608 B2
Wicker (45) Date of Patent: Apr. 19,2005
(54) SEMICONDUCTOR PROCESSING
EQUIPMENT HAVING IMPROVED PROCESS
(75) Inventor: Thomas E. Wicker, Reno, NV (US)
(73) Assignee: Lam Research Corporation, Fremont, CA (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term ol this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/700,853
(22) Filed: Nov. 5, 2003
(65) Prior Publication Data
US 2004/0092120 Al May 13, 2004
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 09/469,300, filed on Dec. 22, 1999, now Pat. No. 6,673,198.
(51) Int. CI.7 H01L 21/44; H01L 21/48;
(52) U.S. CI 438/106; 438/115; 438/706;
438/707; 438/710; 438/719
(58) Field of Search 438/115, 106,
438/689, 706, 707, 710, 716, 719; 216/58, 59, 67, 74, 79
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
A plasma processing chamber including a slip cast part having a surface thereol exposed to the interior space ol the chamber. The slip cast part includes Iree silicon contained therein and a protective layer on the surface which protects the silicon Irom being attacked by plasma in the interior space ol the chamber. The slip cast part can be made ol slip cast silicon carbide coated with CVD silicon carbide. The slip cast part can comprise one or more parts ol the chamber such as a waler passage insert, a monolithic or tiled liner, a plasma screen, a showerhead, dielectric member, or the like. The slip cast part reduces particle contamination and reduces process drift in plasma processes such as plasma etching ol dielectric materials such as silicon oxide.
9 Claims, 6 Drawing Sheets