(i9) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (i0) Pub. No.: US 2006/0098936 Al
Ikeda et al. (43) Pub. Date: May 11,2006
(54) REPRODUCTION DEVICE, OPTICAL DISC, RECORDING MEDIUM, PROGRAM, AND REPRODUCTION METHOD
(76) Inventors: Wataru Ikeda, Osaka-shi (JP); Hiroshi
Hamasaka, Hirakata-shi (JP);
Kazuhiko Nakamura, Osaka (JP);
Tomoyuki Okada, Nara-shi (JP);
Masayuki Kozuka, Neyagawa-shi (JP)
SNELL & WILMER L.L.P.
600 ANTON BOULEVARD
COSTA MESA, CA 92626 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/528,969
(22) PCT Filed: Sep. 24, 2003 (86) PCT No.: PCT/JP03/12127
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/413,153, filed on Sep. 25, 2002.
A playback apparatus not only plays back an AV stream recorded on a BD-ROM but also downloads an update kit from a WWW server (500) and writes it on a local HD (12). The AV stream stored in the local HD (12) includes an audio stream for an additional language. A control unit (16) reads the AV stream recorded on the BD-ROM and the AV stream recorded in the local HD (12) in units of access units. An audio decoder (6) obtains a necessary audio frame from the access units read from the BD-ROM and the local HD (12) and plays it back. A video decoder (4) obtains video data from the access unit read from the BD-ROM and plays it back.